leopard gecko in trouble. need vet - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Egg
Unhappy leopard gecko in trouble. need vet

does anyone know of a reptile vet in the Newcastle area?
my leopard gecko is unwell. although i will be taking her straight to the vet i wonder if anyone can give me advice in the mean time...

Zazu my female leopard gecko who is one year and half old has recently not been eating as much and lost a bit weight (nothing dramatic). she regained her appetite but has suddenly stopped eating altogether and became very skinny. this evening when looking at her she refused to open her eyes and they looked kinda sunken in.

as far as her appetite goes when she was eating she ate crickets (she wont tolerate mealwolms)and the odd waxi as a treat. ive tried a powerade bath, using natural yogurt and tried changing the supplier of the crickets to try and temp her.

She is housed with another female which they have been for the last 6 months. there has been no obvious signs of bullying.

any help would be appreciated and if anyone could advise on a good reptile vet in the newcastle area.

thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Forum Citizen
Smile

I'm in Newcastle and your best bet is Robson and Prescott. Their Morpeth branch deals with exotics and are very good with reptiles and amphibians *thumbs up* A few reps tend to get a bit sluggish and lose appetite around winter time as they can brumate. Could be a possible reason but vets just in case. Better safe than sorry
Moscowlynny likes this.

Last edited by RubyTiger; 19-01-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Old 19-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Premier Citizen

ReptileVets.co.uk - Find Local Reptile Vets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTiger View Post
I'm in Newcastle and your best bet is Robson and Prescott. Their Morpeth branch deals with exotics and are very good with reptiles and amphibians *thumbs up* A few reps tend to get a bit sluggish and lose appetite around winter time as they can brumate. Could be a possible reason
I dont think your dealing with gecko that is burmating. It sounds more serious, and the weight loss+ not opening her eyes sound serious to me. It is good that you are taking her to a vet, but I would also advise you to seperate your geckos because of 2 reasons.

Firstly, one of your geckos seems to be ill, you dont want the other gecko to be infected with the same disease.

Secondly, even females can start fighting or bullying, and a reason for weight loss might be due to stress between them two. The other gecko might be more dominant which made it impossible for the other one to feed.

Anyway I hope your gecko is ok, and make sure you ask the vet to check for parasites via a feceal check.

Rebecca
Old 19-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Egg

thanks for the the help and advice
Old 19-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTiger View Post
I'm in Newcastle and your best bet is Robson and Prescott. Their Morpeth branch deals with exotics and are very good with reptiles and amphibians *thumbs up* A few reps tend to get a bit sluggish and lose appetite around winter time as they can brumate. Could be a possible reason but vets just in case. Better safe than sorry
do you have a contact number for them? just hoping they are open today or that this snow doesnt get worse for monday if not
Old 22-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Forum Citizen
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozndavey View Post
do you have a contact number for them? just hoping they are open today or that this snow doesnt get worse for monday if not
Sorry! Only just seen this now. if you haven't been yet or for anyone looking over this thread for vets their website is:

robson & prescott veterinary centre a veterinary practice in Morpeth, - Home

The numbers for all their branches are on that page and you can register online. Morpeth branch deals with exotics though.
Old 27-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Super Regular

Hey,

any news about the gecko?

Tags
gecko , leo , leopard , skinny , vet