New Owner Turtles - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Egg
Default New Owner Turtles

Hey guys,

One of my friends recently gave me ownership of 2 Mississippi Map turtles aged 6. She's had them since babies and they're such amazing pets! I'm looking to either buy or build a house with basking block in top, basically an open front stone/slate/tile box at one end of they're tank so basking block on top and house underneath so I can make an interesting play area at the other end. Does anyone know where I could buy what I'm looking for or where I can get the materials to build it?

All advice gratefully received, I'm new to having these guys so far I'm confident they like baked mealworms and prawns

Everyone meet Zero and Squirt!

Squish McCloud SPI
Element Mouse Rescue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Can you post a bigger/clearer picture?

They really need deeper water. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a play area. What a lot of us do is build an above tank basking area - ours are three pieces of Perspex, two nearly the length of the tank and the third the width. These are then screwed to wooden battens and it "sits" on the inside ledge of the tank. This means the tank, which must be well supported, can be filled virtually to the top. Obviously the turtles must not be able to climb out or reach the lights.

What sort of light/basking area do yo have?

As for diet - not exactly sure what baked mealworms are, but you want to be feeding a good quality pellet such as Reptomin and pondweed, duckweed etc.

This should help:

Terrapin Information UK

Welcome to the Forum but you may want to repost in the main Shelled section where a lot more people will see it.

Do ask if anything isn't clear.
Old 20-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Egg

Hey,

Thanks I didn't see the shell section, will have a look

Thanks for the advice, I've had mixed advice regarding the depth of water, the basking block is 6 bricks built up out the water, they're for aquatics/reptiles as they have smooth bottoms. Ill get a better pic ASAP, thanks so much for the advice greatly received!

Squish McCloud SPI
Element Mouse Rescue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Egg

They're dried mealworms, sorry, predictive text!

Squish McCloud SPI
Element Mouse Rescue