new owner of beardies - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Egg
Default new owner of beardies

hi,i have just got an unrelated pair of 2 year old bearded dragons.
they came with a 3ft viv.my husband is in the middle of making them a 7ft viv.
im looking for as much info and tips as i can please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to merritt

I use here:
Home - Gemstone Bearded Dragons.

I jot myself a Beardie late last year and I love him to bits, I have kept snakes fora few years and my Beardie, Dawi, is by far the most entertaining.
Old 20-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Regular

What sort of set up are you going to be giving them? Don't know if you are aware but its highly advised NOT to house beardies together. If they fight which they can be prone to they can cause quite significant injuries to one another. I only have one beardie so I'm not saying that from experience just what I've heard a lot. Maybe instead of one 7ft Viv build 2 4ft vivs?
Spot likes this.
0.1.0 Dumerils Ground Boa (Flo)
0.0.1 BRB (Apollo)
0.1.2 Carolina Corn (Bella, Chomp & Bert)
0.0.2 Amel Corn (Vinnie & Munch)
1.0.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko (Jasper)
0.1.0 Chocolate Tremper Albino Gecko (Fudge)
1.0.0 Ambilobe Panther Chameleon (Yoshi)
1.0.0 Marginated Tortoise (Axel)
0.0.1 Fantasy Horned Frog (Jabba)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Regular

It's really not a good idea to house two beardies together - there will nearly always be a dominance issue, if not actual violence. One of your beardies will be denied the best basking, enough food etc, as well as being stressed and unhappy which opens the way to health problems.

If you have a male and female, once he's mated, he'll keep pestering and harassing her for sex. They can get a bit nasty about it sometimes.

In the wild, they are solitary animals, only getting together to mate. They really don't need 'friends' or 'companions'. If you're new to reptiles, it's often easy to miss the signs that all is not well between your critters - until one of them seriously suffers - and it's often sudden.

I hope your hubby's not got too far with his viv build - it's probably best to rethink. Sorry. (Though a 7ft viv would be wonderful for a beardy).

Edited to add: The usual advice would be to separate your beardies into their own vivs (or rehome one of them), but a 7 ft viv that's also a decent depth might have scope for two basking spots etc. making it a less risky proposition if you really wanted to try and keep them together. You'd still have to be prepared to dive in and intervene if things still turn iffy though.

Last edited by Spot; 21-01-2013 at 12:35 AM..
Old 21-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
It's really not a good idea to house two beardies together - there will nearly always be a dominance issue, if not actual violence. One of your beardies will be denied the best basking, enough food etc, as well as being stressed and unhappy which opens the way to health problems.

If you have a male and female, once he's mated, he'll keep pestering and harassing her for sex. They can get a bit nasty about it sometimes.

In the wild, they are solitary animals, only getting together to mate. They really don't need 'friends' or 'companions'. If you're new to reptiles, it's often easy to miss the signs that all is not well between your critters - until one of them seriously suffers - and it's often sudden.

I hope your hubby's not got too far with his viv build - it's probably best to rethink. Sorry. (Though a 7ft viv would be wonderful for a beardy).

Edited to add: The usual advice would be to separate your beardies into their own vivs (or rehome one of them), but a 7 ft viv that's also a decent depth might have scope for two basking spots etc. making it a less risky proposition if you really wanted to try and keep them together. You'd still have to be prepared to dive in and intervene if things still turn iffy though.
On top of pestering her to keep mating if the female is stressed she won't lay and end up dying or getting seriously ill. Also breeding beardies isn't generally profitable either and most end up losing much more money than gaining (if that was your plan), and even with breeding you house separately and bring them together only to mate during season.

An ideal viv size is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft which is perfect for holding the right hot/cool end temperatures. You could build a double viv stack with two 4x2x2's on top of each other for each of your dragons.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpreece87 View Post
What sort of set up are you going to be giving them? Don't know if you are aware but its highly advised NOT to house beardies together. If they fight which they can be prone to they can cause quite significant injuries to one another. I only have one beardie so I'm not saying that from experience just what I've heard a lot. Maybe instead of one 7ft Viv build 2 4ft vivs?
what sort of set up should they have,as i want to make sure they are happy and looked after properly
Old 21-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebby1966 View Post
what sort of set up should they have,as i want to make sure they are happy and looked after properly
For your situation I recommend two 4x2x2 vivariums (of if you don't have the room or funds to set up two you'd be best to re-home one of your dragons and keep your "favourite" one)

For each one you need:
  • Ceramic bulb fitting with a 60w bulb (normal light bulb) + bulb guard
  • A hide/somewhere to sleep inside or under and get into shade
  • Various decorations to climb on/under/whatever
  • A water bowl
  • A dimming thermostat attached to each bulb
  • An appropriate substrate on the floor, the best to use is ceramic tiles fitted directly onto the flooring as they give no danger to the dragon like some other substrates do, they look nice and very easy to clean.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
For your situation I recommend two 4x2x2 vivariums (of if you don't have the room or funds to set up two you'd be best to re-home one of your dragons and keep your "favourite" one)

For each one you need:
  • Ceramic bulb fitting with a 60w bulb (normal light bulb) + bulb guard
  • A hide/somewhere to sleep inside or under and get into shade
  • Various decorations to climb on/under/whatever
  • A water bowl
  • A dimming thermostat attached to each bulb
  • An appropriate substrate on the floor, the best to use is ceramic tiles fitted directly onto the flooring as they give no danger to the dragon like some other substrates do, they look nice and very easy to clean.
so they will have enough heat off that will they.
plus what about with babies and children

Tags
bearded dragons