Feeding med tortoise from a supermarket - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 21-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Egg
Default Feeding med tortoise from a supermarket

Hi all I have been given a 3 year old herman tortoise from someone who could not look after it anymore. Im in at the deep end and need some advice to get me through the next few days for feeding so I can complete my research into how to look after him. I just dont want to cause him any problems by feeding him the wrong things before I know what im doing. I also have some calcium powder and some nutrobal but dont know how much to give him.
I have bought some mixed baby leaves from tesco to feed him and a bunch of roses to take the leaves from. How much to feed him and if this will be okay for a while would be greatly recieved.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-2013, 04:02 AM

Have a look at the main Shelled section and there you will find a list of weeds suitable. Obviously with the weather as it is at the moment most weeds that are about at the moment are under several inches of snow. You can buy weed seeds to grown your own.

Florette salad bags can be fed, but avoid Iceburg lettuce, also the cabbage family and fruit.

What are you keeping the tortoise in and what temperatures have you got - ie a hot end/cool end? What sort of substrate? Presumably the tortoise was not hibernated this year?

One last question, do you have paperwork for the tortoise or a letter confirming that the tortoise was given to you as a gift/similar?

If you can post some pictures of the tortoise and setup others will be about later to help.
Old 21-01-2013, 04:04 AM

Forgot: Personally, I wouldn't feed the rose petals even after a "rinse". Yes, tortoises can be fed them however when they are from the supermarket you do not know what they have been sprayed with.

Do you know what s/he was fed previously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Egg

I have no paperwork for him yet they need to find it.

Lives in a nice box ill post a photo. Don't know what the top temperatures are but I have a corn snake so I could use his temp gauge to find out.

I have removed all rose from him so he cant eat that anymore. Thanks for the advice.

Old 21-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Egg

He was eatting lettuce when I picked him up but was feed weeds from the garden when possible.

Ive put baby leaf mix in from tesco with a pinch of nutrobal and calcium sprinkled on. Still desperately reading up so not to cause him any harm.
Old 21-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Egg

Old 22-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Egg

Should I be giving her calcium daily
Old 26-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Hatchling

I give mine a very small pinch of nutrobal 5 times a week and calcium once. I also have cuttlefish available to her for calcium