Crestie Setup Questions - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 21-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Crestie Setup Questions

Hello there! Just some questions regarding setups and requirements that I was hoping someone could help me out with (I've never owned a reptile or had any experience with reptiles, but I've done my research and decided to start off with a Crested Gecko )

Enclosure - I've been reading that Cresties need relatively high humidity and a lot of height in their terrariums. I started looking around for a glass enclosure but soon realised how expensive they are! I know Cresties are small animals, but I would really like to buy a large enclosure for a decent price as opposed to a small one for like £50. Initially I checked out some flexariums from Exo Terra and Lucky Reptile, but read some bad reviews about their build quality so decided not to go that route. Currently I have my eye on the extra large Reptibreeze by Zoomed ( Link ) Would this be okay for a Crestie? I'm aware it doesn't contain water vapour as well as glass but I'm in a position where I can monitor them most of the day, every day.

Also, what sort of vegetation would you recommend? I would prefer to use live plants where possible. Are there any I should stay away from?

Food - Is Repashy CGD an absolute must? Or are other brands such as Komodo's CGD just as good? Do I have to worry about supplemental calcium at all ? Aaaaaaand, could I feed locusts in place of crickets?

Lighting - I've read in a lot of places that Crested Geckos don't require additional lighting, but I couldn't find out if it's actually bad for them if you do. I personally find the winter months totally depressing with the constant lack of sunlight! I'm no reptile ( I think ) but sunlight has a pretty profound effect on animal behaviour, both big and small, so I'd rather provide additional lighting even if just to make them feel a bit perkier. Currently I was looking into a 15 Watt 2% UVB compact florescent bulb. Could this be beneficial? Or bad / no effect?

Temps - Is the enclosure to be kept at room temperature through out or should I create a gradient? (what would be the best way to do that?)

Phew! I think that's it. Either way I'll stop there to be kind to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

enclosure - you can pick up 45x45x60 / 60x45x60 Exo Terra glass vivs for around £50 - £60 if you keep an eye on eBay and the classifieds. A lot better than a mesh reptibreeze type.

If you go for a baby crestie you can keep it in a tub till it's bigger. That way you can set up a decent live planted viv ready for when it grows up.. have a look in habitat > planted for inspiration and a list of toxic plants.

Food - Repashy is one of the best CGD's. That or Clarks, I've used Komodo but they weren't that interested in it.
No need for supplements with the CGD and yes you can feed locusts. mine get CGD and locusts because crickets annoy me.

Lighting - they don't need lighting but UVB is beneficial and you also need to give them a day / night period rather than it just being darkish then dark.

Temps - yep, they need a heat gradient. Best way is a ceramic in a dome on the top of the viv
Old 21-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Forum Citizen

i dont know the answer to all these questions lol but ill help out the best i can with what i know.

I have a crested gecko, my second reptile and mine is in a komodo plastic faun at the moment until its big enough to go into a glass exo terra.

too much humidity is bad for them, 70-80% is good enough and maybe a little more when shedding. you have to let it dry out in the day and then mist in the evening. being to wet all day can lead to respiratory infections. so a digital thermo/hydro meter will tell you if you have the correct temps and humidity.

not sure about live plants as mine is on artificial at the moment.

repashy in my opinion is the best, people do use other brands, and it depends if your crestie will even like the repashy, mine had no problem moving on to it though.

and yes you can feed locusts instead of crickets, i prefer locusts much more nutritional. and yes you should dust your live food with a calcium and d3 and also gutload your live food as well.

you can give them uv, but remember in the wild they will hide and sleep in the daytime so uv isnt necessary, if you want to i think its a 5.0% one you can use, arcadia lighting is the best.

you can give them a gradient too, i think other people can answer this question, mine just has room temps at the moment even though it is snowing we have the central heating on and the room is still nice about 20 degrees.

hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Premier Citizen

try e bay for a glass viv they are the best for them here is a link to one that i am looking at on e bay

i fed mine clarkes cgd and both locusts and crickets i use no extra heating unless it is really cold then i use a ceramic bulb on a pulse thermostat

my set up is clay balls in the bottom then a weed suppressant membrane then 2 inches of eco earth i keep the clay balls half covered in water which then is pulled up by the eco earth this helps with humidity so i only spray once a day

Exo Terra Glass Terrarium Vivariums Reptile Tanks | eBay

45 x 45 x 60 is the size you want

Old 22-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Citizen

Enclosure - buy a 45x45x60 exo terra terrarium. seriously its the best thing for them especially when trying to get your humidty right. The mesh will also be damaging to the cresties feet.

FOOD - repashys !! by far the best CGD on the market you can use clarks as well but repashy is my first choice. Would stay away from komodo its not as good.

LIGHTING - if you have natural light that is more than adequate however i would recommend a UVB min 5% to help with growth and ive noticed with mine that my cresties with UVB look brighter more colourful and colour contrast compared to some that dont have UVB at present.

TEMPS - i would say a ceramic bulb on top of mesh in a dome - that way you can get a nice thermal gradient going. my temps are 22-25c during the day and 18-20c at night.

I hope this helps

Anything else just holla

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrabutt View Post
Hello there! Just some questions regarding setups and requirements that I was hoping someone could help me out with (I've never owned a reptile or had any experience with reptiles, but I've done my research and decided to start off with a Crested Gecko )

Enclosure - I've been reading that Cresties need relatively high humidity and a lot of height in their terrariums. I started looking around for a glass enclosure but soon realised how expensive they are! I know Cresties are small animals, but I would really like to buy a large enclosure for a decent price as opposed to a small one for like £50. Initially I checked out some flexariums from Exo Terra and Lucky Reptile, but read some bad reviews about their build quality so decided not to go that route. Currently I have my eye on the extra large Reptibreeze by Zoomed ( Link ) Would this be okay for a Crestie? I'm aware it doesn't contain water vapour as well as glass but I'm in a position where I can monitor them most of the day, every day.

Also, what sort of vegetation would you recommend? I would prefer to use live plants where possible. Are there any I should stay away from?

Food - Is Repashy CGD an absolute must? Or are other brands such as Komodo's CGD just as good? Do I have to worry about supplemental calcium at all ? Aaaaaaand, could I feed locusts in place of crickets?

Lighting - I've read in a lot of places that Crested Geckos don't require additional lighting, but I couldn't find out if it's actually bad for them if you do. I personally find the winter months totally depressing with the constant lack of sunlight! I'm no reptile ( I think ) but sunlight has a pretty profound effect on animal behaviour, both big and small, so I'd rather provide additional lighting even if just to make them feel a bit perkier. Currently I was looking into a 15 Watt 2% UVB compact florescent bulb. Could this be beneficial? Or bad / no effect?

Temps - Is the enclosure to be kept at room temperature through out or should I create a gradient? (what would be the best way to do that?)

Phew! I think that's it. Either way I'll stop there to be kind to you

0.0.1 Aru X Manokwari GTP (M.Viridis)
1.0.0 'Pisky-Be' Panther Chameleon (Nosy-be X Ampiskiana)
1.2.0 Satanic Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Phantasticus)
1.1.0 Henkels Leaf tailed Gecko (U.Henkeli)
2.5.0 Crested Gecko (R.Ciliatus)
1.0.0 Corn Snake -
Old 22-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Forum Citizen

Thank you all for your replies I'm glad I'll be able to feed locusts instead of crickets... Ugh, disgusting creatures!

At the minute I just need to decide on an enclosure I think, got everything else lined up and ready to buy. I really don't mind retrofitting a screen enclosure to seal up the mesh / completely cover it in climbing plants if it means I get twice as much space as a glass enclosure for the same price. I'll have to do a bit more research!

I'll be glad once all of this is out of the way so I can actually start looking into where to get a Crested Gecko lol.

Thanks again. Maybe in future I'll have some pictures to share, providing my awesome DIY skills don't fail me...
sam n mushu likes this.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Regular

I tried mine with locusts, they weren't impressed by the sticky legs - after the first one was eaten they flatly refused any more, these guys normally eat about 6 - 7 crix in a sitting and sometimes want more.

I have given in and gone back to crix, as I cannot stand roaches, and I refuse to pull legs off living things just so they will actually eat them. Mine also have a constant supply of repashy in their exo's too.
Old 23-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Premier Member

Hi Cresties will seek out light at certain time of the day.

here is our thoughts http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-co..._PRK_Aug12.pdf

Im happy to help further if required

John
MrKev83 likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com

Tags
crested , enclosure , gecko , lighting , setup