Help with Leo gecko egg - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Egg
Default Help with Leo gecko egg

Hello

First of all, thank you for reading this.

The problem i have is that my gecko hasnt hatched after over 35 days and begun turning brown. I have scanned it with a torch and thr gecko was alive as i saw it move. Today i went to a pet shop where they sell lizards and explain to the guy lookin after the lizards the situation and he advised me to cut the egg. So did. I opened it up n the little gecko seemed dead but after a while it started to move around. It looks fully developed but it has somethinglike a placenta attached to its belly.

Whats should i do now? I really dont know please can anybody help? Any advice is highly appriciated.

Sorry about the grammar my enlish is not so good as it is not my first language

Thanks

Jaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-2013, 08:49 PM
5 Star Member

That guy should not have recommended cutting the egg! 35 days is quite early (they can incubate for 60+ days) but it depends on your incubation temperatures.

The placenta like thing, is most likely the yolk.

I've never dealt with this so only going by what I've read previously. I've heard people have success with patching up an egg with damp tissue. Just enough so that it's covering the cut.

You may want to wait until someone experienced with this comes along though, sorry I can't help much!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 22-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.

I have no idea either, but did you cut the egg right open or just a tiny slit? Could make all the difference to the advice given.

Best of luck either way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Welcome to RFUK!

I agree entirely with vgorst. Very poor advice from the shop I'm afraid. Leo eggs can sometimes look a bit manky, usually due to too high humidity, but still be viable. Best to let nature take it's course if there's a next time.

If you can see the "placenta like" thing (the yolk sac) then I'm guessing the little fella is out of the egg. Don't cut off the yolk sac - let it drop off naturally. If the little'un is still alive I would keep it in a RUB (poly box) with damp kitchen roll as a substrate until the yolk sac has dropped off.

Unfortunately there is a high chance that the gecko won't survive very long and if it does it may be slow to "get going". Good luck.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Last edited by jools; 23-01-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 23-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Egg

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately it died over night . I have been back to the pet shop n screamed the shit out of that guy. He apologised many tines but it will not bring my little gecko back. In a way im happy it died becayse i wouldnt be able to take its life myself. It was a poor advice but as we learn from our mistakes im not going to listen to anybody. It was healthy and the egg was huuugee. If i left it it would have surely be an amazing little girl . Incubeted n wished it was a girl at least otherwise id had to sell it or give it away. Ive got another egg but that one is very new so it wont hatch untill probably ebd of march. One thing that guy at the pet shop learned is that he should never guess when giving expert advice.. He was very close to sleeping with the fishes...

Again thank you all
Old 23-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.

Sorry to hear your news, best of luck with the other egg x
Old 23-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Sorry to hear about the little one - but I'm not surprised. Pet shops are notorious for often giving poor advice. I believe that sometimes snake eggs are cut - but I'm not an expert with snakes - but I've never seen it recommended to cut a lizard egg. If you were incubating for female then the egg would have been nowhere near ready to hatch.

We all make mistakes, especially when inexperienced with an animal so don't beat yourself up. There are a great many VERY experienced Leo keepers on RFUK, but most of them "stay" in the Lizard section. If you have any queries in the future then I'm sure you would get a reliable answer by posting in that section.

Good luck with your remaining egg!

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Tags
egg , hatching , leopard gecko