U.V Help :s - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 24-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Egg
Default U.V Help :s

so, we are in the process of shopping for the right lighting for our bearded dragon vivarium we have the heating sorted but i am a bit confused about what types of U.V lighting is required. I know the difference between UVA and UVB but are they 2 separate bulbs :s i keep searching on the internet but a lot of information contradicts itself, so can anyone here enlighten me on what i would need for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-01-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Star Member

The UVB bulb emits some UVA. For a beardy you're best getting a 12% T5 Arcadia bulb which runs 3/4 - 2/3 the length of the tank starting from the hot end. Have a look at this website > Lighting Guide : Arcadia Reptile < for the type of tube you need (depending on the height of your tank)
Arcadiajohn likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 24-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Egg

oh brilliant thank you

also i have another question :p the vivarium we have is similar to this one Vivexotic Viva Terrestrial Vivarium Medium

except there isnt a airflow vent at the top, it has the aluminium rails at the front only i was thinking surly that is not enough airflow? i read that its good to have airflow at the top and the side (cool end) i just dont see how these rails can allow enough air in and out.

so would it be necessary to add some small holes at the top/side myself or would that be a completely silly idea :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-01-2013, 03:00 PM
5 Star Member

Which size viv are you getting?

I've never used those new vivs so couldn't say for certain if there is enough ventilation. If you get a digital hygrometer and bung it in there, if the humidity gets too high then drilling small holes would be a sensible idea.

Something that I did read about those vivs that you may want to check before getting the animal is the vents. Apparently some people have found the edges to be extremely sharp, sharp enough to do some real damage if a beardy got his toe stuck in there.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 24-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

I hate to break it to you, but that viv won't be suitable for very long. Apart from anything else, it's way too small. The viv you have is 862.5 x 490 x 434 mm. It needs to be closer to 1230 x 615 x 615.

An adult beardie is likely to be somewhere between 400-500 mm long (and could even get larger than that), so it needs a big viv.

I can't see the vents on that viv, so I can't comment, but it's easy to add vents, or block them off.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 24-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers3 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but that viv won't be suitable for very long. Apart from anything else, it's way too small. The viv you have is 862.5 x 490 x 434 mm. It needs to be closer to 1230 x 615 x 615.

An adult beardie is likely to be somewhere between 400-500 mm long (and could even get larger than that), so it needs a big viv.

I can't see the vents on that viv, so I can't comment, but it's easy to add vents, or block them off.
im aware we need a bigger one anyway were going to upgrade in about 6 months we have the 4ft one atm because we didnt think we could fit a bigger one but after alot of rearranging we found room for one much bigger and plus were going to be moving house in about a years time to a bigger place so the size wont be an issue

and about the metal runners along to front i checked and it isn't sharp at all i cant even fit my finger nail under there but i read somewhere you can seal it with a some kind of silicon or something :s so i will look into that more.
Old 25-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Premier Member

The lighting advice given is good,

please however feel free to ask me if anything isnt clear.

In short to light reptile properly we must seek to re-create the levels of exposure that they would be able to recieve in the wild. If we can do this we can be sure of doing everything possible to avoid MBD.

again if unsure please ask

john

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com

Tags
bearded dragon , bearded dragon & set up