Crestie Questions - before I make a purchase! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Hatchling
Talking Crestie Questions - before I make a purchase!

Hi everyone,

After my last post I did a lot more research, talked it over with my flat mate and boyfriend and have decided to look for a crestie as my new pet.

So, I'm gradually buying everything I need before I take the plunge and go and buy him/here, but I've got a couple of questions

Firstly, heating and lighting - most people have said to me that crestie's don't need extra lighting etc, but if its not harmful to them, I'd still like to provide UV (and a heat source just in case it drops cold). So, what sort of UV bulb would I need? In regards to heating, would I be better with a heat mat or a ceramic bulb? (Or something else entirely?) I was originally going to purchase a heat mat, but I'm not sure now.

Housing wise, I plan on a 45x45x60 viv - can I put a baby crestie in this or will it be too big? I'm trying to avoid buying 2 vivs for 1 crestie, do I need to get a smaller one (say 30x30x45) initially or would it be ok in the bigger one (one should I keep it just in a large plastic tub like one until it has grown a bit?)

Finally, if I'm getting 2 crestie's, do I need to get them at the same time? Would there be issues if I was to introduce one a bit later on?

Thanks!
~Sammie

Also, I've found online a 'crested gecko starter kit' which includes a fairly big plastic faunarium (doesn't provide measurements but I would ask), along with a stick on temp gauge, feeding bowls, vines and some repashy CGD - it suggests that this would be suitable up until 1 year old, in your opinion would this be ok to start off with then put the crestie in a 45x45x60 after a year?

Last edited by SammieJane; 25-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: More questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Regular

To answer your question about the uv:you can buy canopies for the ex tera and put in either a 2% or 5% uv strip. These will not harm your crestie, but if you go for a 5% only have it on a few hours a day.

As for introducing them/getting together. First off, never buy 2 babies together. This is because you can not guarantee their sex and if you end up with 2 males then you'll need to separate them. Even 2 females can fight. If you're housing 2 make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces and room for them both and don't get a male x female unless you plan on breeding them. Introducing them later on is an option, but there are always risks. They may not get along.
Old 25-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to MrKev83

Heating

Personally, wouldn't bother...I don't with my crestie and monitor temps with digital thermometer

But if I was, it would be a low watt ceramic, like a 40 or 60w, with a guard and on a stat

Big debate on the UV but in the wild they come out for a few hours early morning but would go with 2%

We've got the same size viv, just buy a RUB or one of the large faunariums and keep it in that, inside the viv until it's big enough

Problem with putting a baby in such a big environment would be that it could get stressed and also not be able find its food
Advertisement

Old 25-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Premier Member

The choice of lamp can ONLY be made in relation to the species average eposure in the wild and the height of the viv.

You cannot consider what lamp to buy unless you know the height of the viv that you intend to keep it in.

The bad old days of 5% for this species and 10% for that are well and truly behing us now. It is all to do with re-creating the solar energy as it would be available in the wild and in a way taht is usable to that species and over an area that allows good self regualtion between heat/light and cool/shade. It is only in this way that we can be sure of the full completion of the D3 Cycle.

I am as always very happy to advise you personally but you must know what viv is to be used first.

Good luck

John.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 25-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Citizen

I'm not talking UV lamp...I'm talking about ceramic with the 40/60w

The OP has stated viv size at either 30*30*45 or 45*45*60
Old 25-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Hatchling

Thanks everyone,

I think we'll stick with one crestie to be honest - I'd rather not risk fighting (or baby geckos!)

If I was to provide UV light for him, would I need a UVA or UVB bulb? I'm not sure if we're allowed to post item links on the forum, but I've had a look on the exo-terra website, would a Repti-Glo 5.0 be suitable? - I forgot to mention, my room has very little in the way of natural light during the day ( and this is the only room I can keep the gecko in) would the repti-Glo provide a suitable day-night cycle for the crestie?

Also, is there anywhere that sells a food dish that can be placed on the side of the tank/off the tank floor?

thanks,
Sammie

Last edited by SammieJane; 25-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Extra info
Old 25-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Regular

i kee my cresties with no lighting at all as they hide in the day time and i think high uv can damage there eyes ect i coll mine in winter at 60 and heat matt them up to 80 in the summer
Old 26-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Regular

If you want one for viewing purposes, I'd go with a 2.0 as this is what they are used for. Just give him/her plenty of places to hide and they'll come out when they feel like it and it won't damage their eyes. Some people also prefer to use red or blue lighting, or even christmas tree lights! I personally don't use uvb with my cresties and they do fine =)
Old 26-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Regular

So u don't use any lighting at all then? Mine just get window light
Old 26-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Citizen

Mine is in our lounge so just natural light and no heating due to room ambient around 60-70f

Tags
crested , gecko