Quick cornsnake question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Quick cornsnake question

I am soon to be getting a corn snake and have done a fair bit of reading up on them but the one thing that is becoming very conflicting is about the heatmats I have at present plastic komodo housing for the snake and understand that the heatmat can be attached to the underneath of the tank, but once it gets big enough to go into a bigger viv I have a 3 ft wooden viv now ow would anyone go about the heating in this as they cannot go outside as the wood is too thick for the heat to penetrate but they cant go inside due to possibilty of the snake burning itself if it burrows but i have read alot of people do put theirs inside confused as i have never ad to deal with heat mats just heat bulbs

Thanks in advance
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Posting Deity

Heat mats are fine to be used in wooden vivs as long as they are obviously stat controlled and you maintain the equipment being used, replacing if need be, also be aware that the heat mat will do nothing for the ambient room temp so if your snake is to be kept in a room that's warm then you'll have no problems but if the room is realy cold I would eitherthink about moving the snake to a warmer room or perhaps using a ceramic bulb as these not only give a hot basking spot but they warm the air too.
Postaholic Member

Take a look at ceramic bulbs. You will also need to purchace a guard to go round it and a heat cable/ceramic light fitting kit (i always get mine off ebay). Do you have a thermostat for your iminent arrival ?

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid tegs View Post
I am soon to be getting a corn snake and have done a fair bit of reading up on them but the one thing that is becoming very conflicting is about the heatmats I have at present plastic komodo housing for the snake and understand that the heatmat can be attached to the underneath of the tank, but once it gets big enough to go into a bigger viv I have a 3 ft wooden viv now ow would anyone go about the heating in this as they cannot go outside as the wood is too thick for the heat to penetrate but they cant go inside due to possibilty of the snake burning itself if it burrows but i have read alot of people do put theirs inside confused as i have never ad to deal with heat mats just heat bulbs

Thanks in advance
Michael
Mats for rubs and faunariums,Bulbs,be it light emitting or ceramic,plus guard plus thermostat for vivs.
ps, you will also need a stat for the faun and rub
Old 25-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Premier Citizen

I put mine inside the viv on the floor Put thin vinyl flooring on top of heat mat seal round edge with aquarium sealant fix probe of thermostat and thermometer on top of that then add my aspen or what ever substrate you choose to use.
Then there is no contact with the heat mat and no chance of burning as it will be controlled at correct temperature.
obviously there are other methods this is just mine works for me for heat mats.

www.serenitygeckos.com

If you can't afford the vet don't get the pet!

My leopard gecko wont eat ? --- How to setup Basic leopard gecko vivarium

Tags
corn snake , setups