Herman tortoise help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 26-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Egg
Default Herman tortoise help

Hi I have just got a 2 year old hermans. I want to use sand and top soil as substrate I been to home base but they only have top soil with added loam and feed can this be used or do I need topsoil with nothin in it. If so could you please tell me were I would purchase this from and the name if it please. Also I am a bit worried about keeping her warm at night as last night she felt quiet cold. My heating at home is set to 18 degrees is this sufficient for her Or would I need some sort if heating at night. She is in a tortoise table. Also do I need extra bedding in her hide ? Please help as I just want the best for her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng1977 View Post
Hi I have just got a 2 year old hermans. I want to use sand and top soil as substrate I been to home base but they only have top soil with added loam and feed can this be used or do I need topsoil with nothin in it. If so could you please tell me were I would purchase this from and the name if it please. Also I am a bit worried about keeping her warm at night as last night she felt quiet cold. My heating at home is set to 18 degrees is this sufficient for her Or would I need some sort if heating at night. She is in a tortoise table. Also do I need extra bedding in her hide ? Please help as I just want the best for her
I would personally just use top soil as sand can irritate their eyes. I wouldn't buy the homebase one as it has to be feed free. I got a big bag from B&Q its just top soil with nothing added and it was about £4.50 a bag, wickes also sell it but its a small bag for the money
Old 26-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Egg

Hi thanks for the advise. I will go to bq tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Wizzasmum1 Send a message via MSN to Wizzasmum1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng1977 View Post

Tortoises always feel cold when not basking, it's because they are cold blooded and why they have to bask, even in a warm room they will feel cold unless they are beneath a lamp. Normal house temps are fine, even in winter. Mine are in an unheated room overnight and certainly a lot less than 18 degrees Bedding is a human concept as being cold blooded will not keep them warm. Give a deeper area of soil for them to dig down into as this will help with thermoregulation and good shell development. Topsoil needs to have no additives.