help needed - bearded dragon - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 26-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Have you purchased the uv tube yourself or was it second hand? Eyes closed (unless sleeping of course) usually means they are upset by something. Either wary of close hands or a predator (you) nearby, or possibly an issue with lighting. Any chance we can see a pic of your setup, pictures can tell a thousand words. I wouldn't attempt bathing yet as it will just stress her and any water bowls should be located in the cool end.

You haven't mentioned your basking temp (directly under your heat bulb), unless that was the 90c? If it is then that is too cool, you want to aim for about 105-115f or 40-45c. Your cool side could also be a little warmer and in a 3ft viv I imagine it would be if your basking temp was correct, so I'd imagine your basking spot is the 90c?

Also may want to use something gripper than laminate flooring, lack of grip can cause joint issues apparently. It would make sense as it certainly isn't similar to what they would come across in the wild.

They actually have a small spot on the top of their head that enables to tell when it's light or dark. So, if you cover that spot with your finger, it can cause them to close their eyes. The beardie could also be sleepy.

A 80w bulb or 100w would probably keep them temps up better, but the uv strip is brilliant. Arcadia is what I use for all my reps that need uv. Make sure it's new though as they only last up to 8months.

I use lino and it actually has alot of grip. If it is slippery though and you see your beardie struggling to walk, then change it. Using it rather than a loose substrate is way easier and cheaper to maintain and avoids impactation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 07:54 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraRawr View Post
They actually have a small spot on the top of their head that enables to tell when it's light or dark. So, if you cover that spot with your finger, it can cause them to close their eyes. The beardie could also be sleepy.

A 80w bulb or 100w would probably keep them temps up better, but the uv strip is brilliant. Arcadia is what I use for all my reps that need uv. Make sure it's new though as they only last up to 8months.

I use lino and it actually has alot of grip. If it is slippery though and you see your beardie struggling to walk, then change it. Using it rather than a loose substrate is way easier and cheaper to maintain and avoids impactation.
It's actually used to determine when in shade for such uses as running away from predators from above, hawks etc. I understand what you are saying that covering this parietal eye can cause them to fall asleep however this isn't actually that common unless they are of course in darkness and I can assure you that it is much more likely they are closing their eyes due to being threatened if your hand is close or due to poor location of lighting equipment. The T8 uv you are using is actually old technology and superseded by Arcadia new T5 unit, much much better and allows for the provision of a photogradient. Also T8 units only last at most 6 months whereas the T5 lasts up to 12 months.

Old 26-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Like I say that closing of the eyes isn't good and this is an often made mistake. Where is she trying to climb the viv? Near your uv tube by chance?

I would also recommend upgrading to a 4x2x2 as soon as you can. 3ft is not enough space for an adult BD and can often be difficult to maintain the correct temperature gradient that you need to provide.
I will take a photo of the viv in a min just keep in mind this is just a basic set up all I had with the viv and anything I could find to make life easier basking area is 40c that's what I got told to set it to and cool area is 24c again what I got told the eye closing is only when I stroke her head what about if there sitting there eyes closed with there mouth slightly open while basking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 08:34 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml19 View Post
I will take a photo of the viv in a min just keep in mind this is just a basic set up all I had with the viv and anything I could find to make life easier basking area is 40c that's what I got told to set it to and cool area is 24c again what I got told the eye closing is only when I stroke her head what about if there sitting there eyes closed with there mouth slightly open while basking
Sorry, for some reason when you said 40c I was thinking 90f! Like I said earlier 40-45c is good so forget what I was talking about the 90f! Although you may want to up it a little if you find she is basking for long periods of time, over 10 minutes. As i said before 24c is fine too. Her closing her eyes when you stroke her is a sign she is threatened. It can take a long time to build up trust and she may always do this, as long as she isn't reacting by hissing or puffing her beard or flattening her body and angling it towards you to seem big then I wouldn't worry too much, like I said keep handling and any stress to a minimum, you should really leave her be to settle for a few weeks, I know it can be hard! I would bet sitting there eyes closed while basking has something to do with your lighting which is why I asked for a pic and where your lighting and uv equipment is mounted? Mouth open is simply regulating heat and is normal. Unless you feel she is having difficult breathing, heavy breathing, mucus around the mouth/nostrils or constantly breathing through her mouth then I imagine all is fine there and she is simply thermo regulating.

Tags
bearded dragon