help needed - bearded dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 26-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Hatchling
Default help needed - bearded dragon

Hello
bought yesterday a year old female bearded dragon she's eating veg ect and bugs. I have kinda handled her but she is acting like she has had some serious drugs (reasure you I haven't given it drugs) constant at the glass bobbing and waving but I'm still not 100% of handling her as she dose a mental marathon on me. Temps at 40'c someone let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 06:28 PM
5 Star Member

Firstly Sounds like you need to allow her some time to settle. Restrain from handling when not necessary as it'll just stress her more. "Temps at 40" doesn't give us enough info to work on. What's your basking temp and cool side temp? Where and how are you taking these readings? What uv setup do you have? Viv size?

Old 26-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Firstly Sounds like you need to allow her some time to settle. Restrain from handling when not necessary as it'll just stress her more. "Temps at 40" doesn't give us enough info to work on. What's your basking temp and cool side temp? Where and how are you taking these readings? What uv setup do you have? Viv size?
Hi thanks it's bog standard set up till I get paid at end of the month. She is a rescue bd so was just a what ever I could get to get her comfy job it's a 3ft vivexotic tank with 60w heat bulb and a arcadia + d3 12% T8 for lighting has laminate flooring one side basking she has a log witch she loves closes her eyes so assume she likes it and sleeps next to it at night and few rocks other end is a hide and a plant I am measuring off the 1 digi thermo will move it to the cool side in a min and let you no the temp just trying to do as best as I can with small knowlage for this rescued beauti has a small amount of water and food and she hates baths lol hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Hatchling

Also cold end is 24'c give or take a few 0.1'c
Old 26-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Regular

Sounds like she just needs to settle in. Beardies can suffer relocation stress, so just give her a week or so (still feed her ofcourse) to settle in to her new home.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraRawr View Post
Sounds like she just needs to settle in. Beardies can suffer relocation stress, so just give her a week or so (still feed her ofcourse) to settle in to her new home.
Thank you so the erratic glass dancing and trying to climb the viv is normal? She lets me put my hand in and stroke her and move stuff about with no problems what so ever half the time I stroke her she just closes her eyes assume it's good
Old 26-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml19 View Post
Thank you so the erratic glass dancing and trying to climb the viv is normal? She lets me put my hand in and stroke her and move stuff about with no problems what so ever half the time I stroke her she just closes her eyes assume it's good
Yeah, my big beardie still does that. They just get excited and over friendly =). They do really like attention. I'd also upgrade to a 4ft viv when you can, just to give her more space. If she's not hissing or going black when you try and touch her then it's a really good sign. You seem to have a really good set up to.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:32 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Hi thanks it's bog standard set up till I get paid at end of the month. She is a rescue bd so was just a what ever I could get to get her comfy job it's a 3ft vivexotic tank with 60w heat bulb and a arcadia + d3 12% T8 for lighting has laminate flooring one side basking she has a log witch she loves closes her eyes so assume she likes it and sleeps next to it at night and few rocks other end is a hide and a plant I am measuring off the 1 digi thermo will move it to the cool side in a min and let you no the temp just trying to do as best as I can with small knowlage for this rescued beauti has a small amount of water and food and she hates baths lol hope that helps
Have you purchased the uv tube yourself or was it second hand? Eyes closed (unless sleeping of course) usually means they are upset by something. Either wary of close hands or a predator (you) nearby, or possibly an issue with lighting. Any chance we can see a pic of your setup, pictures can tell a thousand words. I wouldn't attempt bathing yet as it will just stress her and any water bowls should be located in the cool end.

You haven't mentioned your basking temp (directly under your heat bulb), unless that was the 90c? If it is then that is too cool, you want to aim for about 105-115f or 40-45c. Your cool side could also be a little warmer and in a 3ft viv I imagine it would be if your basking temp was correct, so I'd imagine your basking spot is the 90c?

Also may want to use something gripper than laminate flooring, lack of grip can cause joint issues apparently. It would make sense as it certainly isn't similar to what they would come across in the wild.

Old 26-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you so the erratic glass dancing and trying to climb the viv is normal?
This is quite normal behaviour for beardies, mine is doing the same thing right now. They can seem rather manic at times but it is nothing to worry about. During breeding season males will do this even more and act like complete nutters lol.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:34 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Like I say that closing of the eyes isn't good and this is an often made mistake. Where is she trying to climb the viv? Near your uv tube by chance?

I would also recommend upgrading to a 4x2x2 as soon as you can. 3ft is not enough space for an adult BD and can often be difficult to maintain the correct temperature gradient that you need to provide.

Tags
bearded dragon