A question for new snake owners. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

View Poll Results: Which would be more stressful to have to deal with as a new snake owner
A non feeding baby snake 59 90.77%
A hissy stroppy baby snake 6 9.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Egg

I voted for the stroppy snake. I've owned a snake for 1.5 weeks, so I'm definitely a new owner. I have 2 reasons for my vote. Firstly my hubby is scared of snakes (he grew up where wild snakes kill people). He's only just ok with the nice quiet baby I've got, he'd never cope with a bad tempered one. Secondly, there's loads of advice about non feeders, plus any problems like that & I could either exchange my snake or send it back to the breeder for a few weeks until they were feeding ok.

Maybe my vote is affected by my buying from a highly experienced local breeder who is keen to help, when I bought my snake they reminded me that they will give a refund or exchange if I had any problems, & they want me to bring the snake back in a few weeks for a check-up & to check if the next size up mouse is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Regular

I voted for a non-feeding snake - I was 10 when I got my first snake, a California King that was very stroppy and would bite a fair bit if you gave it the chance. It was a great feeder from what I remember but I ended up swapping it for a yellow rat snake that had a nice temperament but wouldn't feed and ended up dying after a trip to the vets
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Forum Citizen

I would certainly say a none feeding snake... My burmese python was a little stroppy at first and tried to bite a few times. I didnt stress much over the stoppy snake, but the none feeding did get me stressed after not eating for 5 weeks (ate for the first time this morning... )

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE: VIPERDAN1234
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @D_REES1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Citizen

For me it would be non feeding.

The longer it goes on the worst it will be.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Super Regular
Default I'd buy the lively one

It's got personality
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Ultra Citizen

A non-feeder. No matter your desperate attempts to understand, it just won't eat. The longer it goes on, the more stressed you get. It's natural, especially if you have pets that eat daily, to think that if a pet eats - it's happy! So when it doesn't, you worry.

A hissy, stroppy snake is something that you can get over. It either tames down, or you alter yourself to fit the snake (don't handle it as often as you would like, but it keeps the snake happy).
Old 27-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Gold Star Member

These are really great results.

It all goes towards market research for the shop.

Baby dwarf boas, rather than royals.
Old 27-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Egg

A non-feeding snake for sure. A stroppy snake that bites you and such might be a bit irritating, but a non-feeder is at risk of dying. For me the two are in totally different leagues. Better my fingers at risk any day than the snake.
Old 28-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBloodExotics View Post
Im not new to snakes, by far but I would say a non feeding...

Although both would detair you from getting another snake
Im still fairly new to snakes i bought my first a year ago and she was a bit aggesive and it took me a good month to stop her biting at me. I now have 2 lol so obviously this did not deter me and would quite happily deal with another aggresive snake. However i have yet to encounter a non-feeder and i reckon this would be a much harder challenge to conquer. However i do plan to breed my 2 once they are both of age in a years time and im sure their sproglets will provide me with some new challenges lol

Tags
new snake keepers