New beardie set up - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Hatchling
Smile New beardie set up

Hi, i am getting my first bearded dragon in a couple of weeks, though am alittle confused regarding the set up.

After alot of reading ive gone for a 4ft viv package, it comes with the following...

Sand (i'll be leaving this out till my beardie is at least 6 months)
Slate
UV Bulb (screw in, which i have asked to be changed to a 36" tube)
Other bits , vitamins, thermometor etc

It also has a 100w ceramic bulb with thermostat, this is were am confused...

Do i need this ? should i opt for a basking lamp of the same wattage ?

I understand that the lights should be on 10-12 hours in winter, 12-14 in the summer, when these go off at night, is it safe temp wise for the beardie till they come back on again ? the room the viv is going in generally has a day time temp of around 20c -21c, and drops to arround 18c at night, or do i need night time heating ?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Premier Citizen

As long as your night temps aren't going below 16c it's perfectly fine, even a little lower isn't too bad but 16+ is where you want it.

As for the ceramic... get rid of that and get a 60w normal light bulb on a dimmer stat
tremerz97 likes this.
Old 29-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for the reply, am guessing the thermostat that comes with the viv wont be suitable for a basking lamp ?
Will i need a different type ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

a 60w spot might not keep your overall viv temp at the required highs..

the way i do it in my frilleds viv is i have a 75w spot/basking bulb.. and a 150w ceramic on a stat so JUST INCASE the temperature does drop to below what is required the ceramic comes on just to bump it up.. and overnight the stat is set to 18 instead of 30 and the spots off, obviously it takes time for the temp to get down to that level and the ceramic very very rearely comes on during the night

Old 29-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFrilledDragonLawson View Post
a 60w spot might not keep your overall viv temp at the required highs..

the way i do it in my frilleds viv is i have a 75w spot/basking bulb.. and a 150w ceramic on a stat so JUST INCASE the temperature does drop to below what is required the ceramic comes on just to bump it up.. and overnight the stat is set to 18 instead of 30 and the spots off, obviously it takes time for the temp to get down to that level and the ceramic very very rearely comes on during the night

60w for a 4x2x2 is usually perfect for beardie temps, used to have quite a few beardies and they all had the same setup basically and spot on most recommened 60w, too

I do agree a ceramic on a stat for night time is a great thing to have if you can afford it, chance are it won't even come on as you said but nice to have

and djultimate what stat is coming with it? as ceramics can be used with a couple different stats, but you'll need a dimmer for the basking spot bulb
Old 29-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
60w for a 4x2x2 is usually perfect for beardie temps, used to have quite a few beardies and they all had the same setup basically and spot on most recommened 60w, too

I do agree a ceramic on a stat for night time is a great thing to have if you can afford it, chance are it won't even come on as you said but nice to have

and djultimate what stat is coming with it? as ceramics can be used with a couple different stats, but you'll need a dimmer for the basking spot bulb
Thanks for the replys
Am not sure what the stat is that is coming with the viv
Is this the sort i would need ?
HABISTAT DIMMER DIMMING Reptile Thermostat Vivarium New | eBay
Old 29-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by djultimate View Post
Thanks for the replys
Am not sure what the stat is that is coming with the viv
Is this the sort i would need ?
HABISTAT DIMMER DIMMING Reptile Thermostat Vivarium New | eBay
Yep exactly that or if you wanna get fancy you can get Habistats new range of digital stats lol Digital Thermostats for Sale NOW! £79.99 (dimming one again)
Old 29-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
Yep exactly that or if you wanna get fancy you can get Habistats new range of digital stats lol Digital Thermostats for Sale NOW! £79.99 (dimming one again)
As nice as that one is, think i'll stick with the £40 one lol.

Last question, am thinking of leaving my beardie at the pet shop till ive had my viv running for a while..
Is this necessary ? how long would you recommend.

Thanks again for the advice
Old 29-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by djultimate View Post
As nice as that one is, think i'll stick with the £40 one lol.

Last question, am thinking of leaving my beardie at the pet shop till ive had my viv running for a while..
Is this necessary ? how long would you recommend.

Thanks again for the advice
As long as it takes to get your temperatures right you can get it up and running perfect in straight away, or it could take a few days of tweaking the thermostat temperature/moving the probe, getting it how you want it to look etc

You should be able to get the temperature spot on in the first day after a bit of messing about just keep moving the probe until your basking spot, hot side and cool sides are at an ideal temperature.

After that to play it safe try run a normal 24 hour cycle for 2 days as if your beardie was in there, turn it off/on at the same times as you would and monitor the temperatures throughout the day and night if it's all cool after 2 days of that should be fine.
djultimate likes this.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for all the advice, i will post back when its all set up

Thanks again.
Exzhal likes this.

Tags
bearded dragon