newbie dragon keeper - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Egg
Default newbie dragon keeper

Hi im phil and i have recently got two baby bearded dragons and the temp in the day is perfect but at the night the temp is dropping to much and i have a red 40w bulb that i put in at night and i was wondering if i put a heat matt in with a tile covering it and then sand on top would this be ok to keep the babies warm thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-01-2013, 12:31 PM
5 Star Member

Hi and . What are your night temps? Reason I ask is there is quite a bit of misleading info out there, a night drop in temps is very healthy for a BD and you shouldn't need any night time heating unless its dropping to around 10c.

If you do though I would recommend neither of those options. Firstly there should be no visible light at night, whatever the colour it will disturb your dragons sleep. A heatmat can be dangerous for a BD as they don't recognise heat from below too well and if it reached a dangerous temp or generates a hotspot, albeit unlikely it could burn your dragon. They are also useless at increasing ambient air temps so would only be of use if your dragon was on top of it. For a BD night time heat should only be provided by the use of a CHE, this on low will raise the ambient temp of the viv and should always be run on a thermostat.

Hope that helps, Tom.
Exzhal likes this.

Old 30-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Egg

Its around 19 with the bulb on the reason i ask is because one of the was in the hide and it looked dead and i got worried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Premier Citizen

They do look quite dead when they're sleeping lol
Red bulb is definitely not what you want, if you want a night time heater just to stay safe go with a ceramic heat emitter on a pulse stat and set it to the lowest setting (18c). Chances are it won't even turn on most nights but not a bad idea if you don't mind spending the extra cash. They want total darkness at night.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:49 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptomo1980 View Post
Its around 19 with the bulb on the reason i ask is because one of the was in the hide and it looked dead and i got worried
Haha yeah, they aren't particularly active when asleep! I wouldn't worry at all at 19c in fact that's a pretty perfect temp. Save yourself the bother and cash mate, in your case it isn't necessary.

Old 30-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:

Yeah they do look dead, i have previously had to move mine(to get insects out) and he didn't wake worrying lol.

and with the temps 19c is fine, and to be honest thats a nice temp drop, mine was recently going down to 14c and that which didn't cause him any harm but did mean he was really sleepy in the mornings he has a che but didn't turn it on, but yeah all sorted now(we had no heating so i was sleeping in it as well hehe)
Old 30-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Citizen
Question

When I owned beardies had these same thoughts but as above 19 is a good night temp
Old 30-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Egg

Well as i said i am new to keeping dragons i was worried as his eyes were open and he wasnt responsive thanks for your help
Old 30-01-2013, 02:14 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Well as i said i am new to keeping dragons i was worried as his eyes were open and he wasnt responsive thanks for your help
We were laughing with you mate, all been there! Glad we could help.
Exzhal likes this.

Tags
bearded dragon