Bit confused need some help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Egg
Default Bit confused need some help

Im a little confused i have a Leopard gecko blazing blizzard i think is the morph , hes all white with a black dot on his tail. Anyway i have him a 4ft by 1 ft by 1ft tank and he seems to spend all his time away from the warm side so i lowered the temperature to 25 degrees Celsius and he still spends 80% of his time on the cold end, just a bit confused as to why. Also he prefers to be up high as to on the ground so hes constantly trying to climb to the highest point of the tank and never touching the ground if he can help it. my tank is a simple setup of Eco earth reptile soil for substrate with a number of hide 3-4 hides with a large water bowl and a food tray and a vitamin bowl there are lots of fake plants he climbs on alot, yet all he does is climbs on a hide and stays there. he never moves into the hot point and constantly hide out in the open. So could you help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 PM
5 Star Member

Eco earth isn't a good substrate for leos, it's used for 'forest' reptiles to keep the humidity up. Something that you don't want to do for leos. Also if you're using a mat, it'll have a tough time getting to the correct temperatures.

4ft viv is quite big for one leo. It's fine however it will need more than 3-4 hides, it may be that it feels safer in the cool end if it's more covered or got a better hide in that end.

Is he eating? What heating are you using (bulb or mat)? How are you measuring your temperatures? And do you know what the exact temperatures are?

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Egg

Ok ummm the cold area is quite open with 2 hides spread out which he sits on i have a heat mat and a 60W heat bulb its not on 24/7 though. with the temp being 26 degrees warm end cold being 22 degrees. 'reptile glo uvb 14W 8.0' light to make the tank stand out i turn it of at night. i have a reptile temp gauge. he eats loads mainly meal worms with every now and then crickets (crickets escaped and mum got paranoid and doesn't like them).
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Egg

there is alot less cover in the cold end
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 PM
5 Star Member

Those dial thermometers are awful (have been 15C out!). A digital thermometer will give you much more accurate readings.

Provide more cover in every area. Sometimes they won't move because they feel too exposed.

If he's eating and pooing I wouldn't be too worried.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Egg

ok thank you and would you no why hes all white with one black dot or is that just his genetics
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
5 Star Member

It's just genetics. Sometimes they get 'paradox' spots, which is just unexpected spots.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

You have had good advice from vgorst.

If your tank is 4x1x1 foot then I suspect that the actual temp in the warm area is a lot hotter than you think as your bulb will be very low down. Where is your thermometer placed? If it is on the side wall (a VERY common beginners mistake) then it won't be showing you what the floor temperature is - this is what matters for Leos and I like to kep this at about 32-34F. IMO - lose the substrate and use something like tiles, slates, lino or reptile carpet. Get a decent digital thermometer and place the probe on the floor over the heatmat. Make sure both the bulb (which you probably don't need anyway) and mat are attached to thermostats. Provide more cover and plenty of dark, low hides

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Tags
leopard gecko