Substrate for my Hermann's. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Egg
Smile Substrate for my Hermann's.

Hi, my name's Daniel and I'm new to this forum and tortoise keeping

I got my 2 year old Hermann's tortoise (called Edna Duck) in November last year from a garden and pet centre, who told me she was probably a female but still too young to sex properly, and have had no problems or issues with her at all as of yet. She came with: a 38" long x 17" high x 22" wide rabbit cage; a 20W UVB strip light; a 100W heat lamp with reflector; thermometer; wood chippings; food and water bowls; fake plant; driftwood to climb on and some food supplement. I feed her a mix of weeds/flowers from my garden (which I wash in hot water then rinse with cold water) and soaked 'Dandelion flavoured tortoise pellets' by Komodo. I bath her every 2 or 3 days.

I would post a picture of her but I'm not sure how. She's in my profile picture anyway.

They gave me a bag of wood chippings to use as her substrate but after researching online I've realised that this is not a good substrate to use. I was thinking of using topsoil instead and wondered if this top soil would be okay for her.

Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hi,
Soil is good. Not sure about the link as you need not have any fertilisers or anything but I just use ordinary garden soil. I would repost in the main shelled forum though, you may get a few heated debates about the pellets though so do be warned.
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
Keeping Tortoises, Snails, Rabbits and a dog among other things.

Tags
hermanns tortoise , substrate , top soil , wood chippings