Beardie Lighting Setup - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Hatchling
Lightbulb Beardie Lighting Setup

My head is swimming with so many different opinions and dos and donts so could anyone help me sort out what to buy for my beardie's new setup??

I have a 4x2x2ft viv on the way, and need to sort out basking bulb wattage plus dimming thermostat recommendations; I also want to double check UV tube and control units - the Arcadia website recommends a 38w/34in D3+ T5 tube with the corresponding 39w IP67 controller.

I'd ideally like a thermostat with two probes and a timer if such a thing exists as I work odd hours!

Any help offered is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ThatFredChick; 05-02-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Checked the Arcadia website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Forum Citizen

Simples!!
Get Arcadia t5 12%. Tube. And the starter unit or ballast as they call them. That's light sorted! The size you said is fine or you could go to the 1150mm size tube which is the bigger one and the size I have fitted myself in my 4x2x2! Next up get the new habistat digital thermostat dimmer. The dearest one! You can run everything on that, ceramic heater or bulb and the uv tube too ....sorted!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Star Member

For a 4x2ft viv you need a 3ft UVB. The UV shouldn't go the full length as you need to allow for a photogradient (light and shade) so that the beardy can self-regulate effectively.

Wattage of the basking bulb can vary and you may need to test with a few different watts. For a 4x4ft I would say a 60-75w would be best to start with.

Dimming thermostat wise, habistat or microclimates are good. I'm not sure if you should plug the UVB into the any of the thermostats but have to admit I don't know the ins and outs of the new digi ones. All else fails get a normal dimming stat and a timer.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
For a 4x2ft viv you need a 3ft UVB. The UV shouldn't go the full length as you need to allow for a photogradient (light and shade) so that the beardy can self-regulate effectively.

Wattage of the basking bulb can vary and you may need to test with a few different watts. For a 4x4ft I would say a 60-75w would be best to start with.

Dimming thermostat wise, habistat or microclimates are good. I'm not sure if you should plug the UVB into the any of the thermostats but have to admit I don't know the ins and outs of the new digi ones. All else fails get a normal dimming stat and a timer.
Go by what this lady has said and fail you shall not! Just to clarify she is correct on uv length and position, you want the 3ft version, not the 4f, for a 4ft viv.

Uv bulbs cannot be dimmed via a thermostat, you would need a dimmable ballast and a few hundred pound to buy one at that! If you still wanted two probes then I'd look at the new range from habistat, otherwise I can't recommend their old range enough and should drop significantly in price now I'd hope. You can then simply plug this in to a household timer for automation.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Hatchling

Thanks everyone so far!! Surely though a standard household timer will just turn the light on and off instantly - is there one anyone can recommend that can emulate sunrise/sunset???
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Hatchling

Also, pondering this - Digital Thermo/Hygro Combo ?? He's not a well dragon so I wanna be careful as I can
Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFredChick View Post
Thanks everyone so far!! Surely though a standard household timer will just turn the light on and off instantly - is there one anyone can recommend that can emulate sunrise/sunset???
Not currently without spending big money. If you want to recreate the sunrise/sunset you can use LEDS on a controller, reptileink on here has that exact products and it looks fantastic, there's a great example thread which is here.
F5TER likes this.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Regular

The sunrise/sunset lighting sounds good, wouldnt mind trying that but the link isnt working for me, where would i find that thread please?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 AM
5 Star Member

Nothing wrong with the link. It takes you to another thread on here. You can contact reptileink, he sells them.

Tags
basking bulb , thermostat advice , uvb 12%