Hi, New Beardie Mum-to-be - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Regular
Default Hi, New Beardie Mum-to-be

Hi,
Please bear with me, I am getting very excited about getting a bearded dragon, also very confused about all the equipment i need.
Im getting a 4x2x2 viv and an Arcadia UV light and basking light etc, its the day/night thermometer which is confusing me a bit.
This is the bit of kit that keeps the correct temperature right? and also, if the temp drops drastically at night, which at this time of year is what im worried about, it will turn the basking light on until a preset temp is met? Is that right? And in the summer if it gets too hot, will turn it off?
So, can you plug both the basking light and the uv light into it. Is this an essential part as the ones ive seen are around £50, is that right?
Please forgive any silly questions but id rather ask them before rather than after getting my beardie.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Hi, congrats first of all . You definitely should have a stat of some kind, although I don't run day/night one as I only have the basking light on during the day. I have the basking light connected to the stat, my UV and the stat is connected to a timer, with a 12on 12 off cycle. Therefore I don't provide heating at night. I don't feel that it is necessary as the temp in my house is always about 20 degrees and a temp drop at night is completely natural anyway. Don't be tempted by a red light either as bearded dragons can see this spectrum and it should be dark at night for them (and red light is ugly anyway). Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Regular

Hi, thanks,
Yes, very helpful thank you, and no, i wouldnt use an infra red light.
Im sure there will be more questions soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5TER View Post
Hi,
Please bear with me, I am getting very excited about getting a bearded dragon, also very confused about all the equipment i need.
Im getting a 4x2x2 viv and an Arcadia UV light and basking light etc, its the day/night thermometer which is confusing me a bit.
This is the bit of kit that keeps the correct temperature right? and also, if the temp drops drastically at night, which at this time of year is what im worried about, it will turn the basking light on until a preset temp is met? Is that right? And in the summer if it gets too hot, will turn it off?
So, can you plug both the basking light and the uv light into it. Is this an essential part as the ones ive seen are around £50, is that right?
Please forgive any silly questions but id rather ask them before rather than after getting my beardie.
Thanks in advance
. A thermostat works to keep you vivarium temp at a safe level. Basically you set it up to allow your cool end to stay below a certain temp, this way your vivarium cannot overheat ensuring your dragon is safe. It will keep your basking light on until the cool end (or wherever you place the thermostat probe) reaches temp and it will then dim the bulb.

Regarding night heating, you shouldn't need any. Dragons are fine at temps down at even 10c so in an insulated house this should be no issue. Most keepers don't provide nighttime heating unless trying to decrease the chance of brumation. I won't go in to this now but basically you won't need night time heat and any temps higher than 20c at night will in fact disturb the dragons sleep which can lead to stress. So no red lights, no heatmat (these can also be dangerous to BD's), all lights off at night.

For this reason I wouldn't bother with a day/night thermostat, just a standard dimmer stat.

You cannot plug uv in to a thermostat, this is on/off I'm afraid at the moment as the costs for a dimmable ballast are currently too great.

Good to see you're researching before purchasing! You've come to a great place, now get reading!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
5 Star Member

To add. Good choice on the Arcadia uv, you want the 12% D3+ T5, best uv by far. You want to create a photogradient (light and shade) that matches your temp gradient. A 3ft tube will be perfect for a 4x2x2 viv (which is the minimum size needed to create the correct temperature gradient).

Regarding a heat bulb, any household spot or halogen will do the same job as a reptile specific spot bulb, they are exactly the same except for price. You are literally paying for the brand name and image when you purchase a reptile branded bulb.

See here and here for further info on photogradients.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5TER View Post
Hi, thanks,
Yes, very helpful thank you, and no, i wouldnt use an infra red light.
Im sure there will be more questions soon
good good, always better to ask than be unsure
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Regular

Thank you so much for your replies, very interesting about the heat bulb especially as the branded ones are so much more expensive.
But much more exciting is the light & shade method you put the link on to. It makes so much sense for the dragon to be able to self regulate as it would in the wild!
That little link seems to have flipped a switch in me and suddenly things make sense.
I cant wait to get my vivarium and have it all set up just so for my new baby, whoops i mean *coughs and puts on sensible voice!* dragon.
Thank You!

Tags
bearded dragon