Dragon Poo! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Regular
Default Dragon Poo!

Ok, so i know bearded dragon poo stinks to high heaven, what poo doesnt right?
So how often do they go? And what IS the best thing to put on the floor of the viv for cleaning the poo off?
There are so many differering opinions even on here, lino, tile, slate, sand etc. most of the pics of vivs seem to have sand, my local store sells a sort of mixed damp sand which drys out, cant remember what its called. I suppose their natural habitat is sand isnt it? And i think this stuff is trying to mimic that.
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Premier Citizen

yes you need a peg on the nose until you get used to it

the times they poo is different to each individual some poo twice a day some poo once a day and others every other day both of mine seem to hold on to it foe a week before dumping
i would recommend lino or tiles as they are both easy to clean
i myself have a paving slab and a half in each viv with playsand filling the rest , i need to sieve the sand when they poo as it holds the poo and can get spread all over the viv

their natural habitat is more rocky and bone dry clay baked soil
if you want sand go for play sand not any of the sands they sell in the pet shops

Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Citizen

I would go for play sand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Egg
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5TER View Post
Ok, so i know bearded dragon poo stinks to high heaven, what poo doesnt right?
So how often do they go? And what IS the best thing to put on the floor of the viv for cleaning the poo off?
There are so many differering opinions even on here, lino, tile, slate, sand etc. most of the pics of vivs seem to have sand, my local store sells a sort of mixed damp sand which drys out, cant remember what its called. I suppose their natural habitat is sand isnt it? And i think this stuff is trying to mimic that.
Help!
Their natural habitat is more of a hardened clay, and beardies in the wild don't live as long due to impaction.

A few people use sand because 'it looks nicer', but I would rather put my dragons health at foremost than looks. I use lino, it's easy to clean and they cant eat it! Any sand whether it be play sand, desert sand, ANY loose substrate (including woodchip, aspen ect.) can cause impaction and I personally could not live with myself knowing full well the damage it causes just because i wanted it to look nice.

Basically you have to think what is more important to you.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Citizen

When I owned bearded dragons I was told all the stuff about sand causing impactation etc and not to use it as can cause digestion probleems but I have always kept beardies on sand never had a problem and to be fair in there wild ha itat they would find clay and rocks and SAND not floor tiles and kitchen paper. When I went through the argument on sand and beardies there was never hard evidence that sand could cause obstruction of any kind to a beardie and everything I was shown and found was calci sand and animal concerned was geckos that's from personal experiance. Personally I don't believe sand can be dangerous to our Beardies for simple fact it's safe for our babies and children and they swallow it it does not harm them and if husbandry is kept on top of the Bradford should not be eating sand.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Citizen

When I owned bearded dragons I was told all the stuff about sand causing impactation etc and not to use it as can cause digestion probleems but I have always kept beardies on sand never had a problem and to be fair in there wild ha itat they would find clay and rocks and SAND not floor tiles and kitchen paper. When I went through the argument on sand and beardies there was never hard evidence that sand could cause obstruction of any kind to a beardie and everything I was shown and found was calci sand and animal concerned was geckos that's from personal experiance. Personally I don't believe sand can be dangerous to our Beardies for simple fact it's safe for our babies and children and they swallow it it does not harm them and if husbandry is kept on top of the Beardies should not be eating sand.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Egg
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummytothree View Post
When I owned bearded dragons I was told all the stuff about sand causing impactation etc and not to use it as can cause digestion probleems but I have always kept beardies on sand never had a problem and to be fair in there wild ha itat they would find clay and rocks and SAND not floor tiles and kitchen paper. When I went through the argument on sand and beardies there was never hard evidence that sand could cause obstruction of any kind to a beardie and everything I was shown and found was calci sand and animal concerned was geckos that's from personal experiance. Personally I don't believe sand can be dangerous to our Beardies for simple fact it's safe for our babies and children and they swallow it it does not harm them and if husbandry is kept on top of the Beardies should not be eating sand.
To be honest, I am shocked that even when you were told all the dangers about impaction you still decided to keep them on sand. Myself personally have seen the dangers of it first hand with people that unfortunately don't know about the dangers, and keep them on sand, or woodchips - I recently saw a photo of a poor beardie who had gotten a piece of woodchip lodged in its throat and died a slow and painful death as it choked and suffocated to death. I would NEVER risk it because I just could not live with that on my conscience! Fair enough though if that's what you chose to do.

In my post i am pretty certain i didn't say that in their natural habitat they found kitchen paper or lino, I just said that in their natural habitat it was more a hardened clay than sand, and that bearded dragons in the wild do not live as long, alot of the time impaction by sand is a big cause of their deaths. You can say that if husbandry is kept on top of then they shouldn't be swallowing sand but how can you ensure that they wont eat some unless you are feeding them outside of their viv, and watching them 24/7? You also say that sand is safe for human babies to swallow - I'm sorry but why are you feeding your baby sand? I can understand toddlers coming into contact with sand (sandboxes and play areas, obviously) but babies? No. I would also take in to consideration that bearded dragons are a lot smaller than a human toddler, and have different digestive systems? But hey, you are entitled to your opinion! - Out of interest, why is it you no longer keep bearded dragons? You say "when i owned", I assume you did mean this as past tense? I find it interesting to know why you no longer have them or what happened to them?

I did not come on to this forum thread to have a personal argument with you, The woman asked a question and I put my best opinion based on experiences with them in - Just like every other person who has commented on this thread...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Forum Citizen

what i've done in the new viv im just finishing is pva sand to the floor and i have given it 2 coats so far of varnish to seal it and will give it another coat or 2, so i get the look of sand without it being able to be ingested and hopefully easy enough to wipe over with a clean cloth although it looks darker than dry sand but i personally don't like the look of tiles or lino
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrieee View Post
To be honest, I am shocked that even when you were told all the dangers about impaction you still decided to keep them on sand. Myself personally have seen the dangers of it first hand with people that unfortunately don't know about the dangers, and keep them on sand, or woodchips - I recently saw a photo of a poor beardie who had gotten a piece of woodchip lodged in its throat and died a slow and painful death as it choked and suffocated to death. I would NEVER risk it because I just could not live with that on my conscience! Fair enough though if that's what you chose to do.

In my post i am pretty certain i didn't say that in their natural habitat they found kitchen paper or lino, I just said that in their natural habitat it was more a hardened clay than sand, and that bearded dragons in the wild do not live as long, alot of the time impaction by sand is a big cause of their deaths. You can say that if husbandry is kept on top of then they shouldn't be swallowing sand but how can you ensure that they wont eat some unless you are feeding them outside of their viv, and watching them 24/7? You also say that sand is safe for human babies to swallow - I'm sorry but why are you feeding your baby sand? I can understand toddlers coming into contact with sand (sandboxes and play areas, obviously) but babies? No. I would also take in to consideration that bearded dragons are a lot smaller than a human toddler, and have different digestive systems? But hey, you are entitled to your opinion! - Out of interest, why is it you no longer keep bearded dragons? You say "when i owned", I assume you did mean this as past tense? I find it interesting to know why you no longer have them or what happened to them?

I did not come on to this forum thread to have a personal argument with you, The woman asked a question and I put my best opinion based on experiences with them in - Just like every other person who has commented on this thread...
Think maybe what I said and you said was took slightly wrong I didn't mean for a argument I was just stating that in my opinion sand has never been of any harm to my beardies. N no I don't feed babies sand but as u said toddlers have a horrible habit of putting that kind of thing in there mouths, I no longer have my bearded dragons due to personal reasons that didnot involve the animal a such my yyoungest daughter was scared of them so felt it only fair on my daughter and my beardies for them to be rehomed.I don't know about woodchip as never used it. I'm sorry if my comment come across wrong did not mean for any nastyness
lawrieee likes this.

1st YummyMummy

Emz

Tags
bearded dragon