Need some wise words about my Beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Egg
Default Need some wise words about my Beardie

Hi basically I've had my beardie a few months now and just over the last week he's become very in active, I noticed it since I change his heat bulb from a normal 75watt bulb to a infrared 75 watt bulb, I'm hoping that's what it is and he just doesn't like it because he's been like it for just over a week since I changed it, he has eaten but basically nothing from what he was eating before, he's pretty big had him since he was a few inches long, he looks and seems healthy he just won't come out to bask anymore, and it's annoying and very confusing, I just had him out and took some pictures, and as you'll see he looks healthy and he ran about on the floor but I put him back in the viv and he went straight to the cave, I have a 30inch 12% IVB bulb in there to, and the hottest point in the viv is 35' anyone hazard a clue to what's up with him? It's unlike him to be like this and I don't much like it! Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Egg

Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Premier Citizen

put the normal spot bulb back in.
In my limited experience beardies do great with normal spot bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
5 Star Member

Seeing as it was the bulb change that seemed to bring on the initial change then I'd suggest returning it back to how it was and see if that resolves it. However, on another note you say your hottest spot is 35c. This is not hot enough for a basking area, you are looking for a basking temp of between 41-45c.

It may not just be the bulb though, it could be one of many things. Possibly brumation, which could have been helped along by the cooler than needed temp you are providing but it could also be a sign of sickness. How is his pooing? You say he has a reduced appetite, how exactly? Is he eating veg? Does he looks hydrated?

Keep an eye on weight. Weight is the best indicator of a sick dragon, if he is simply brumating then he shouldn't loose much if any weight, significant weight loss would indicate ill health.

As suggested try reverting back to how it was before and increase your basking temp and see where this gets you.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Egg

Thanks for the reply, well I've offered food, but he's not really eating at all, he's had maybe one or two locuts in over a week? And I offer veg but he doesn't come out to eat, he hasn't lost any weight and still looks healthy, look for obvious signs like impaction, so I felt his abdominal area and seems like nothing's there, and checked his eyes to see if they are sunken but their fine, my profile picture is the picture I took of him today, so you can see he looks alert and bright but just won't come out? I will go back to a normal bulb will have to pick one up tomoro, what is brumation? And how long will it last? Going on to his poo and he hasn't had one as he's not eating. He was pooing fine before and his last poo was a couple days after I changed the bulb.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMilton View Post
Thanks for the reply, well I've offered food, but he's not really eating at all, he's had maybe one or two locuts in over a week? And I offer veg but he doesn't come out to eat, he hasn't lost any weight and still looks healthy, look for obvious signs like impaction, so I felt his abdominal area and seems like nothing's there, and checked his eyes to see if they are sunken but their fine, my profile picture is the picture I took of him today, so you can see he looks alert and bright but just won't come out? I will go back to a normal bulb will have to pick one up tomoro, what is brumation? And how long will it last? Going on to his poo and he hasn't had one as he's not eating. He was pooing fine before and his last poo was a couple days after I changed the bulb.
Personally it sounds like brumation to me, take a look here or here for more info. However, you need to rule out any illness before assuming brumation. You say he hasn't lost any weight, are you assessing this visually or are you weighing him? If not, start now. I would leave his belly alone, could cause more harm than good, if he's eating so little then its normal for him not to be pooing.

My advise would be this, sort out a white bulb, get your temps correct, keep an eye on weight. Any loss over 15g's and its straight to the vets, no loss or even a gain would imply its healthy natural brumation which shouldn't (fingers crossed) last too much longer as the barometric pressure is increasing again. Keep him hydrated with regular bathing as he won't be eating and just ride it out, disturb him as little as possible and let him get on with it.

If you can I would also suggest a vet visit if he hasn't been recently or at all. Brumation can be a hard time on some reps if they have a high parasitic load for example and its good to get them checked out before they enter brumation just for piece of mind.

Good luck, be sure to keep us informed. Oh and just to add there are sooo many BD's brumating currently or have been recently, its unheard of, so you're not alone!

Tags
bearded dragon help.