which live food? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Regular
Default which live food?

Now its getting exciting! My viv is coming next week, today i have finished shopping for all other stuff, the next step, hopefully next weekend, will be to pick up my dragon and food.
So, i am confused, whats the difference between the different types of crickets? Black field crickets, silent brown crickets etc. I know they have to be no bigger than the space between their eyes, but which bugs do i get?
Ive also read locusts are easier because they are slower and less likely to escape *shudder* but is it alright to just feed locusts or do they need both?
Plus, do locusts go up the tubes in a cricket keeper or is that just crickets?

Last edited by F5TER; 09-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: adding a question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to adamntitch

i find blacks are a bit bigger and not as nippy as browns they also seam to look like theres more to them best thing tho are locusts

i also dont get them space between the eyes rule as an adult dragon will eat adult locusts and there much bigger than the space between the eyes

MEMBER NUMBER
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM
5 Star Member

Blacks can be slightly more bitey than silents, however there is now a species of brown cricket being used (the Jamaican field's) that are much more aggressive. There is also a slight difference in nutrition between the 2, although not that substantial.

The best thing you can do is to provide a bit of everything to your dragon. Crickets (black and brown), locusts, mealworms/morios, calciworms, silk worms, butter worms, cockroach species etc. The more variety you provide, the less likely you will have any nutrition-related problems (which are very common!)

Locusts will have a problem getting up the tubes depending on their size. I just keep them in the tubs they come in. Also I've heard that crickets can escape from cricket keepers; have a search on here, there have definitely been threads about it.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Black crickets are noisy

Brown crickets can SOMEHOW escape from
Faunariums

Locusts are slower and don't often jump more than 3 or 4 times negate they have a short rest, easy meal for any lizard :p

My vote is LOCUSTS, keep them in the tub they come in or a faunarium with no trouble. Easy to catch for yourself and your reptile perfect

RFUK POTM February 2013 - 3rd Place!!
[CENTER]
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Regular

Thank you all, looks like i may have just wasted some money on a cricket keeper then If i just feed locusts though will they and salad be enough? and if i keep those in the cricket keeper would i have to pick them up? *yuk*
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Ultra Citizen

Nah it'll be fine to use that for locusts. And you wouldn't necessarily have to touch them if you're freaked out by them. Usually I pop the lid and my bearded dragon comes running and munches them before they have a chance to move.

Or they jump out and he goes running around like Godzilla in Tokyo destroying plants and eating everything that moves

[CENTER]
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5TER View Post
Thank you all, looks like i may have just wasted some money on a cricket keeper then If i just feed locusts though will they and salad be enough? and if i keep those in the cricket keeper would i have to pick them up? *yuk*
Nah you can keep other live foods in there...just not ones that are good escape artists!

Really you should be looking at providing a lot more than just one live food, even if you do provide a good range of veg.

Locusts are fine to pick up, one of my favourite live foods to handle (yes I'm weird ). Crickets are way worse!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Regular

Haha, yup you must be wierd Maybe, in time, i will catch you up in the weirdness stakes but for now, i dont relish the thought of picking them up, but i can manage to pop the lid and shake a few into the viv i suppose lol. I do want to give my BD the best i can though, so i will go with a mix of different live foods.
I suppose i will get a routine going in time, just dont want to be asking stupid questions AFTER i have him/her.

Thank you all so much, i have to say, this forum has been excellent for answering all my silly questions, thank you! X
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Citizen

I went and bought myself a cricket keeper and kept locust in it as my beardie was strange with crickets
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Ultra Citizen

That's what this forum is for and just general chat/classifieds.
But yeh if it's for your beardie I would recommend rocket as greens aswell as others of course. Mine loves rocket! And now and again I give him a few chopped up raspberries or pachnoda grubs (they're big juicy beetle larvae) about 1 1/2 inch long. Remember those as a treat when he/she is older your beardie will love you for it!

[CENTER]

Tags
bearded dragon