baby bearded dragon hiding - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 25-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Egg
Default another option

try sitting next to your beardie and talk to him, read aloud if you like, that way he gets used to your voice and you being close by, My tank is next to my sofa so I'm often within inches of him plus he can watch the tele. Stay confident and positive when handling and you'll soon have a beardie that loves your attention
2.0.0 Giant house rabbits, 2.0.0 Degus
1.1.0 Campbell Ducks, 1.8.0 Chickens
0.0.2 Catfish, 0.0.1 Plecostomus
2.1.0 kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzieJo View Post
Tbh if it was my Beardie, yeah, I would continue handling, as long as he/she wasn't getting too stressed. It'll definitely help him/her get used to you.
Its so frustrating, i tried to handle him earlier and he opened his mouth and made a faint noise, so i left him alone and am worried about him biteing me, does it hurt ? lol.

A moment ago he was at the glass, so i slowly slid the glass open, and he allowed me to stroke his back for nearly 5 mins mouth closed at all times,then darted to the other side of the viv.

Ive read that placeing an item of worn clothing in the viv will help him get used to me, does this work ?
Old 25-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djultimate View Post
Its so frustrating, i tried to handle him earlier and he opened his mouth and made a faint noise, so i left him alone and am worried about him biteing me, does it hurt ? lol.

A moment ago he was at the glass, so i slowly slid the glass open, and he allowed me to stroke his back for nearly 5 mins mouth closed at all times,then darted to the other side of the viv.

Ive read that placeing an item of worn clothing in the viv will help him get used to me, does this work ?
Just take your time he is gradually getting used to you. We have only had our pair for 2 weeks and at the moment we are watching tv with the pair of them running round the lounge sticking there noses into everything.
Whippet cross Staffordshire bull terrier ( Brind)
Green Horned Frog (Norman)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by djultimate View Post

Ive read that placing an item of worn clothing in the viv will help him get used to me, does this work ?
Depends, the baby (with it essentially being a new toy, may either feel threatened, or may try to eat it, which depending on what it is, could cause impact (very unlikely)

Try leaving your hand in there for a few minutes with a sweet smelling fruit/veg, it may (or may not) lure him over to you.
(there are numerous care sheets which list which fruit/veg they can and cannot eat)

My baby seems to love sitting on my knee while I stroke under her beard. I've only had her a few weeks but it didn't take too long for her to realise I'm the one that brings here the big juicy locusts etc. :p

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Regular

Tell you what you could try, it worked with our pair. Get some wax worms and hold one with thumb and fore finger and hang it in front of his face. The worm will wriggle which your beardie won't be able to resist. If it works do another one a bit later.

As soon as we put the tub of wax worms in front of the viv chaos takes over the viv and all social order is abandoned this stuff is like chocolate to them.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul3col View Post
Tell you what you could try, it worked with our pair. Get some wax worms and hold one with thumb and fore finger and hang it in front of his face. The worm will wriggle which your beardie won't be able to resist. If it works do another one a bit later.

As soon as we put the tub of wax worms in front of the viv chaos takes over the viv and all social order is abandoned this stuff is like chocolate to them.
The past few days ive been tong feeding him wax worms, when I put the tongs near him he opens his mouth really wide like hes trying to hiss, so I plonk the worm in his mouth and he eats it.

Ive been leaving my hand in the viv for 10.minutes every night, he doesn't run just sits and looks at me, though when I come In from work he darts under his basking log and sort.of.lays low to the floor.

Its 3 weeks tommorow I've hae him and only successfully managed to hold him a few times, with exception of the other night when he managed to.jump out my hands and leg it.

Am I expecting to much to soon as in the tameness of.my beardie ?

One thing I am concerned about is am off away for a week end of the month and have booked him into a reptile hotel where they feed and handle daily etc, will them handleing him daily help ?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Regular

Also we coaxed Jaffa down from the top of the bush with a worm. Also now I call his name tap a little on his basking log,then I tap outside the vivarium so he now comes to us. The other Queenie comes to us naturally. I must admit I was told to leave Jaffa for a while but I didn't. Instead I coaxed him and handled him a lot and he seems a lot more confident now.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Regular

So many comments to catch up with there took me a while lol. Where to start. Well A no it doesnt hurt of they bite especially not juveniles lol. B your confidence is key, if you are nervous he/she will sense it and well i wouldnt trust a nervous giant to pick me up lol. So try to be confident dont hesitate just open the viv and gently but firmly pick him/her up. You most like find he/she sqiurms until the feet are on a solid surface mine is three years old and he still does squirms everytime until i place him down on my chest or hand lol. C ignore the clothing suggestion i tried it when i first started out and all that changed was my sock was now dirty lol. D i totally agree with not getting a friend it isnt neccesary and often causes endless issues. Finally i personally would not remove hides. If somebody up routed my home put me in another one completely empty with a door that doesnt lock from the inside i would be getting pretty stressed out. Stress is a common reason for premature death so i really do not recommend this. If he/she wants to hide let them. If you want to get them out for a play you'll just have to find them which personally i view as half the fun lol.
djultimate likes this.