BD Brumation - newbie help pls - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Hatchling
Default BD Brumation - newbie help pls

Hi guys
I'm very new to the world of Bearded Dragons so would really appreciate your help & advice. Also being new I originally posted this in the Lizard section not newbie section so apologies for reposting!
I got my 16 month old BD 1 week ago (not from a pet shop) and have spent the last week reading all of the advice on here about how to look after it, whilst buying all of the bits that seemed to be missing (thermostat, basking rock/log, decent UVB lighting, etc). However he has seemed rather sleepy and inactive although he has eaten but mainly when we offered food to him rather than eating from his dish. He has now gone to sleep in the cool corner of the viv for the last 48 hours and only turned around in the corner. I have read about brumation being quite normal, but as I am totally new to all of this I thought I just check a few things.
Firstly I read that brumation normally ends around now, not starts. The previous owner had not mentioned him being sleepy or in brumation, but then there wasn't anything in the viv for him to sleep in/ under. He now has a log tunnel in there, so maybe this has encouraged it?
The temps are currently 28C in the cold end and 31C in the hot end, turned down to 20C/22C overnight. Should I reduce the day temp whilst he is brumating?
I have ordered an Arcadia T5 light to replace the compact UV bulb that is currently fitted. Normally I leave the light on for 12 hours a day - should this be reduced?
The viv is 4ft x 18" x 18" by the way.

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Egg

Hi there, this is my first post hopefully it is welcomed. Just want to check a couple of things

What is the temperature on the basking spot? The cool end and night temperature seem all good.

The compact UVB bulbs are not great so really good choice with the t5 arcadia, I assume you went for the 12% D3+ tube (I started using this - the beardy was much more active than previously I have to say).

Your bearded dragon should not need a hide, by all means turn it around and let him hide from the front of the tank. Try set this up so he will always be receiving UVB light.

12 hours of light per day is all good.

Cheers, Matt
Old 23-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Hatchling

All sorted now thanks Matt - see here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
All sorted now thanks Matt - see here
Brilliant - I thought it could have been the case! Glad the beardy is all good!

Tags
bearded dragon , brumation