I'm newww :) and getting first snake today!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Egg
Default I'm newww :) and getting first snake today!!

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong part! In a few hours I'll be collecting my first ever snake (4 month, female royal python) after months of research and persuading my mum she's finally given in and agreed!!
Had my rub set up and running for around 3 days now and is keeping at a steady temp of around 29/31 in hot side, should this be ok? I've got 2 hides, plant (plastic of course) and going to be using kitchen roll, I'm using the 12L rub with prorep 11x11 heat mat which covers around half of the floor and then using the mini matstat with this bit may upgrade to a pulse stat? Are they worth the extra investment? Will of course be putting pics up soon, collecting her from snakes and adders in sheffield, anyone had experience with these before? And any extra help, tips ect would be much appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Ultra Citizen

Sounds good!

The mini stat will be fine. As tempting as it is try not to handle it in the first 5-7 days so it has time to settle in.

Good luck!
Old 15-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Super Regular

Good guys at snakes and adders, Was in there yesterday, Possibly whilst you was there as some one said they was collecting theres today.

Im certain it was you as he mentioned 12l rub etc

For now, a Ministat is fine, though personally i would look to upgrade to a pulse stat. Pulse stats are just more accurate/stable than a mini on/off stat.

Kitchen roll is also fine, Though might be worth looking into something like Repti card, Substrate is always personal preference though.

Once you got her, Let her settle in give her 5 - 7 days unhandled, then look at feeding between 7 to days , Think he said she was on mice, Might be worth keeping on these, Though majority of people change to Rats early on as you can get larger rats as they grow. Could also Consider Multimammates.

If it was you, One thin i would do is get a Digital thermometer, The Dial one he sold you can be inacurate and as much use as a chocolate fireguard, Same with Hydrometer, Always worth going Digital.

Last edited by Dnuk; 15-02-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: added something about thermometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Forum Citizen

Snakes n Adders are the bomb!!! Excellent shop, by far the best in Sheffield.
Old 15-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnuk View Post

If it was you, One thin i would do is get a Digital thermometer, The Dial one he sold you can be inacurate and as much use as a chocolate fireguard, Same with Hydrometer, Always worth going Digital.

I'd suggest going to a digital one, but for different reasons. With a digital one, it's just easier to place the probe where you want it and to have the display in a more convenient location.

The obssession with "accuracy" for measuring snake viv temperatures is not necessary and unachievable for most people. The only way you will get an accurate reading is if you calibrate a thermometer properly. This is much more difficult to do than most people realise. The cheap digital thermometers used by most people are no more accurate than the cheap dial ones. Just because they display the temperature to 0.1 degree, it doesn't mean that it's correct. It's like comparing an analogue and a digital watch. Neither will be accurate unless they are set to the correct time in the first place.
GoGoplata and powerkiter like this.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”

Tags
royal python