hi need a straight forward anwser please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Hatchling
Default hi need a straight forward anwser please

planted viv with gold dust day gecko , hydro balls membrane and organic sial and bark mix, need critters to clean poop for free from the garden , what can i use thats free in the back yard , thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Ultra Citizen

personally i wouldnt use anything from the back yard as you dont know what it has and probably wont do too well in the tropical enviroment your scaley friend needs

Old 16-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFrilledDragonLawson View Post
personally i wouldnt use anything from the back yard as you dont know what it has and probably wont do too well in the tropical enviroment your scaley friend needs
great more expense lol cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Ultra Citizen

Actually as long as you're not taking them from an area where pesticides are used you can take native woodlice and springtails and use them in a tropical environment and they thrive. I and loads of others in the amphibian and planted habitat sections have and they're perfectly safe. I'd culture the woods in a tub first so you've got a decent population but it can take a while. If you want to add variety then by all means buy some dwarf tropical woods and tropical springs. I have giant orange woods in my tanks if you want something a bit more obscure .

Old 16-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
just a thought but woodlice do come out in the summer here do they not so they would wouldnt they ?
Old 16-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyjodes View Post
Actually as long as you're not taking them from an area where pesticides are used you can take native woodlice and springtails and use them in a tropical environment and they thrive. I and loads of others in the amphibian and planted habitat sections have and they're perfectly safe. I'd culture the woods in a tub first so you've got a decent population but it can take a while. If you want to add variety then by all means buy some dwarf tropical woods and tropical springs. I have giant orange woods in my tanks if you want something a bit more obscure .
so apart from woodlice what else can i use out the garden and what does a good job earth worms ? i just want to get some stuff in there, my viv has only been up and running a few days but dont want it to start getting dirty and smelly
Old 16-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton2608 View Post
just a thought but woodlice do come out in the summer here do they not so they would wouldnt they ?
well i guess it depends what temps your reptile/amphib requires but theres quite a big difference to our summers and tropical heat

Old 16-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
so apart from woodlice what else can i use out the garden and what does a good job earth worms ? i just want to get some stuff in there, my viv has only been up and running a few days but dont want it to start getting dirty and smelly
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...-cultures.html I saw this the other day, could just buy some springtails from this guy (very cheap ) and pop some in, job done
Old 17-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Some do use earthworms, I personally don't but that's just me. We do have [HTML]native springtails in this country that you can use. Other than that you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket I'm afraid .
Quote:
well i guess it depends what temps your reptile/amphib requires but theres quite a big difference to our summers and tropical heat
It doesn't matter though, as I said before european woodlice will still thrive in a tropical vivarium. Either that or I should tell the ones in my tanks that they're not behaving properly.

Tags
bioactive , planted viv