how much food? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Egg
Default how much food?

Ok, another probably daft beginner question, and im aware this may well be a "how long is a piece of string" type thing to ask, but how much live food is a baby rankin or beardie likely to get through on a daily basis?

when ive looked online at buying food it seems to come in 250's and 500's and it just seems a huge quantity so im curious to know how much i can expect to need to keep in of crickets and worms

i assume too much live food can make them overweight but not enough will mean they are deficient in nutrition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Ultra Citizen
Smile

I'm afraid it really does depend on the individual, I have 2 Rankins at the moment, Jorgie is a pig, and has been from day one, she can easily get thru 10 food items a day , Jazzy on the other hand isn't a big eater at all, some days she will eat 3 or 4 insects...some days none at all. She had me tearing my hair out at first , I had her at the vets and all sorts but she's slowly grown and is fine

I don't personally use crickets, I don't like them and nor do the dragons, I do use locust, mealworms & Dubais, Butterworms & calciworms. The Dubais breed themselves, mealies, calci's and Butterworms keep for ages in the fridge, only the locusts are a nuisance to keep long term
Old 23-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherjhenshaw View Post

I don't personally use crickets, I don't like them and nor do the dragons, I do use locust, mealworms & Dubais, Butterworms & calciworms. The Dubais breed themselves, mealies, calci's and Butterworms keep for ages in the fridge, only the locusts are a nuisance to keep long term
and i assume this is a healthy diet for them? I would rather do this too as i really dont want to risk crickets been left in the viv. I can get locusts and mealies ok but what are Dubais, butterworms and calciworms? Are these not considered treats? and where do you get yours from?
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Dubais are roaches and are a very healthy diet for most lizards, you can also very easily set up a small colony in a tub that breed and so supply yourself, no need to buy , for the initial set up check out the classifieds on here, loads for sale (they breed like.....roaches ). Calciworms are also very healthy, I get mine from Ricks live foods online . Butterworms are more of a treat.

Mealies are a bit of a controversial one, some people say they are evil/fatty etc etc but any live food is basically a shell, it depends how you gut load them, a well gut loaded mealie is better than a poorly gut loaded locust IMO, but variety is the spice of life

Heather

Tags
live food