getting a bit worried about my beardie - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Regular

Only times ive had my dragon regurgitate, is water, when they have gulped too much while bathing. What veg are you feeding him? Id pop him on tiny tiny little crickets, and lots of them.

I always feed my young beardies (have raised over 300 of them) On small crickets, ive never been a fan of locust/hopper because of there barbed legs.

Don't offer him too much veg (do you have a food processor? blend up all his veg so its small little bits, my young beardies loved it), they should be eating more crickets then anything else at his age, usually about 70% Living food to 30% vegs, this will switch round when he gets older (not a staple rule for all dragons though, some do stick to there live food, my adult male prefers his veg and only eats a few live food).

Whats his water intake like? does he get misted during the day?

Its likely that either his pray was to big, or he has eaten to much. Id stick away from hoppers, there expensive and i just don't like them much lol....

Crickets as a staple diet for a young beared, with some wax worms as treats, never feed them meal worms, and you can change over to Morio worms when they are large enough (16+ months to be sure) there cheap and dragons love them, some adult crickets thrown in now n again will give your dragon something to chase.

what sized hoppers is he eating? (maybe a pic with one next to him to be sure)

Keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Regular

Just noticed the hopper in the background of your pick, there a bit big for him at 10 weeks, id defiantly try crickets.

Besides them having barbed legs, they also need heat to keep. Locust that don't have heat and that have been fed veg, will without a better word, putrefy (or at least the veg in there gut will). Causing the hoppers to become slow and ill looking. They become a useless food unless you pick them up every few days or keep them heated in a tank. You cant gut load locust without heat.

I personally disagree with anyone that recommends hopper for young beardies, as a treat for adults, there fine, i do use locust if i find it hard to acquire other foods. Other people will likely disagree with what ive said, many i know use hoppers as a staple for there beardies, but i have experience with very young beardies and find that hoppers are not ideal.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Regular

Thank you RLS, i appreciate you replying. The only problem is when i put crickets in he wouldnt touch them, it honestly looked like he didnt like them, and to be honest, neither did i lol.
I have got him some much smaller locusts now and this afternoon he had 3 of those and some salad and veg too. Im just happy hes eaten something.
I do take on board what you said about the veg and will definately try chopping it smaller, but if he wont eat crickets im just glad that hes eating something at the moment and will try crickets again later.
Im also trying him with a few wax worms too, which i know are for the occasional treat and will be once he is eating regularly.
Ill see how he goes tomorrow.
Thanks again x
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Regular

Your more then welcome, happy to help!

If he doesn't touch crickets then i wouldn't bother too much (they are much better cost/weight though, much easier on the pocket, but that's the only benefit really apart from what i mentioned before about locust). also if you don't like them, that's a good enough reason not to get them! Just because you like reptiles does't automatically mean you like insects too!

Was he raised on hoppers do you know? this could be why. Just keep the hoppers on the small side until he is bigger and no fully blown locust until he is an adult.

All the best!
Old 28-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Regular

Thank you RLS, i wasnt sure what sort of reaction i was going to get to be honest, saying i dont like crickets! lol.
Today he has eaten much better, some veg incl some grated buttenut and about 6 tiny locusts. So, hopefully, he is settling down and feeling better.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:19 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5TER View Post
Thank you RLS, i wasnt sure what sort of reaction i was going to get to be honest, saying i dont like crickets! lol.
Today he has eaten much better, some veg incl some grated buttenut and about 6 tiny locusts. So, hopefully, he is settling down and feeling better.

A lot of people hate the bugs, it's a necessary evil I'm afraid

Glad he's eating better! Might just have been slightly too large prey that was the problem.

If you're able to (once you've got him feeding well), try adding a bit of variation into the live food. I know you say he doesn't like crickets but there are mealworms, calci-worms, silk worms, cockroaches, butter worms etc. The more variation there is, the less likely you'll have nutritional/growth problems down the line.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Regular

Yes i certainly will try him with all the other foods i can thank you.
Is it normal for them not to eat until the afternoon?
It just goes against the grain for me as all my other pets gobble their breakfast up as soon as i put it down.
Its difficult getting used to a completly different species Lol Loving having him though

Tags
bearded dragon