getting a bit worried about my beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 26-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Regular
Default getting a bit worried about my beardie

So I got him on saturday, hes 10 weeks old, almost immediately he ate some veg, then a bit later he ate 3 locust.
Sunday, he didnt eat any veg, i put in two crickets which he didnt eat and totally ignored! and i then had to remove them on the night. He ate 1 wax worm and 1 locust.
Monday, no veg except for a tiny bit of broccoli i tempted him with, 1 locust and 1 wax worm. I also brought him out and gave him a bath as it had been a week since his last (before i got him) but as i didnt want to over-stress him, i only gave him 5-10 minutes before putting him back.
Today he hasnt eaten anything at all! Theres veg, 1 locust and 1 worm in there and hes not interested.
Have i stressed him out with the bath? is it maybe delayed stress from bringing him home?
Hes moving around a little bit but not much. He also did his 1st poo today.
So since saturday, in total, he has eaten 5 locust, 2 wax worms and the e smallest bit of veg. Is this enough for a young beardie??
The temps are basking spot - 43, warm end - 30ish, cool end - 25ish. I use an Arcadia 12% uvb light. There is a dish of water in there too.

Is there a problem, is there something else i should be doing? please tell me im worrying over nothing
Advertisement

Old 26-02-2013, 06:23 PM
5 Star Member

I would leave it a little longer before getting worried. Although, preferably, baby beardies should be gobbling down dozens of food items a day, it doesn't always work out that way.

I reckon the stress from the move, coupled with the bath, has been enough to inhibit appetite. Don't bathe or handle him until you've got him feeding well (unless you see signs of dehydration). Keep offering him different food items but try to disturb him the least you can. Something worth trying is covering the front of the viv with a towel, this will make him feel a lot more secure and not distracted by everything that is going on outside.

How big is the viv?

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 26-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Regular

The viv is 4x2x2 and in the living room so he can see us all the time. I thought it would help him get used to us. Not that i could move it now but i could cover the front i suppose, do you mean just on an evening or all the time?
Advertisement

Old 26-02-2013, 07:16 PM
5 Star Member

I think all the time would be good (bar feeding, cleaning etc). You want to get him eating well and growing before any kind of interaction (visual or physical).

Old 26-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Regular

Ok, we'll try that and see how it goes, thanks x
Old 26-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Regular

Well im glad i hadnt put the towel up or i would have missed this.
Hes just been sick! Now i am really worried.
Heres pictures, sorry, they're a bit graphic! Ive taken one with Dudley so you can judge the size.

What do you think?
Old 26-02-2013, 10:42 PM
5 Star Member

Yeah looks like a regurge.

Often it's down to eating too much (although I don't think that's the case here). Other things to look at are temperatures (double and triple check with a reliable digital thermometer, maybe up them a few degrees too), check prey size (too big can cause regurge), something didn't agree with him (maybe check what the locusts are gut loaded with) or if he's got some kind of blockage (substrate, undigested food).

Did his poo look normal?

How's his basking?

If he's not feeling secure yet, he won't be basking too much. This will decrease appetite but can also cause a regurge. Judging by the size of the regurge I would also try slightly smaller prey.

Old 26-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Regular

The thermometers are new and digital so apart from getting more new ones i dont know how else to check the temps, he basks well and often, can they bask too often?
As far as im aware, his poo looked normal, not runny at all, as i would have expected really but it was his first so im no expert in bd poos yet.
The locusts (he hasnt eaten any crickets) are the ones the breeder gave me which he had been feeding them on already. I put some spring greens, sweet potato peel and brocolli in with the locusts, is that ok?
I dont use a substrate, hes on lino with a couple of slate tiles.
So, maybe undigested food then? I will get a size smaller locust tomorrow and see how he goes with them then.

Thank you so much for your help x If you think of anything else it may be or that i could do better, please let me know.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Star Member

Yeah they can bask too much. You want them basking for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, any more and the basking temperature is too low.

Yeah that's fine to feed to the locust, just make sure you give them a rinse in case there's any pesticide etc left on them. I would have a go at feeding smaller locusts and adding mealworms too, see if he takes to those.

The picture is definitely undigested locust, not sure if it's from the locust but there's red-ish patches on it? Just keep an eye on him, may have scratched his insides bringing it up again.

The only other thing I can suggest is getting his faeces tested for parasites/bacteria. Parasites and some infections can cause regurgitation and if left they only get worse. If you decide to I highly recommend these guys > Veterinary Laboratory, Tests For Companion & Exotic Animals

Old 26-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Regular

Yeah, it definately looks like blood, hopefully the locusts!
I will get him some smaller locusts and mealworms tomorrow and see how he goes.
Thank you x

Tags
bearded dragon