Temp??? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Regular
Default Temp???

I got my gorgeous boy yesterday he's a 3 month old nelsons. He's still in the little rub like box I got him I'm as its plenty big enough for now with him being so tiny. The thing that's worried me is the temp at night I have it regulated during the day but last night I noticed it'd dropped to 19* what are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

Well in Mexico (where the milksnake is native) it regularly does drop to those sort of temps at night

having said that I suspect they find somewhere warm to snuggle up, and a hide is not going to maintain temps throughout the night.

What temp is it during the day? Warm temps should be between 27 and 33 so if you are more towards 27 you could try upping the temps a bit so there is less of a drop at night?
Old 27-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpster View Post
Well in Mexico (where the milksnake is native) it regularly does drop to those sort of temps at night

having said that I suspect they find somewhere warm to snuggle up, and a hide is not going to maintain temps throughout the night.

What temp is it during the day? Warm temps should be between 27 and 33 so if you are more towards 27 you could try upping the temps a bit so there is less of a drop at night?
I've got it sittin between 29 & 30 through the day. I'm gonna put him in a proper rub see of that keeps the heat better coz there are less holes on the warm side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

Proper rubs do hold heat better than say a faunarium, but a wooden viv will be even better.

In fact you could buy a 3 foot wooden viv and place your current rub in there, then when the snake is big enough remove rub and place snake in viv
Old 27-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpster View Post
Proper rubs do hold heat better than say a faunarium, but a wooden viv will be even better.

In fact you could buy a 3 foot wooden viv and place your current rub in there, then when the snake is big enough remove rub and place snake in viv
That's a great idea thank you. Never even thought of that