bearded dragon what to look out for ? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Hatchling
Default bearded dragon what to look out for ?

i'll be getting a bearded dragon in the next week or so , i'll be going to a breeder to get one , but what should i look out for , how do i know if they are healthy ? ( the age i'll be getting is 12 weeks )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Citizen

personally I would look for one that seems active always check it has all its toes. and check that the tail is not nipped it can be helpful if u can see them eating too as there's a lot of beardies about that won't eat atm hope that helps x

1st YummyMummy

Emz
Old 27-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Hatchling

Thank you very much will keep that in mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Citizen

you probably will get more detailed anwsers but that's my personal opinion x

1st YummyMummy

Emz
Old 27-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Regular

As a breeder and what i believe in, is making sure any animal that leaves me, is in the best shape it could possibly be, and i hope thats the way everyone approaches breeding (but just in case) 12 week old beardies tend to have a pudgy belly (unless they have just emptied there bowels) you don't want to see ribs, they may look flattened out when basking but should not look like a pancake!

usually bearded dragons have between 2-3 clutches after mating with a male (2 is more usual then 3) Ask to have a look at a younger clutch if there are any, the 12 week old beardies should be a reasonable size bigger then the younger ones. some clutches do better then others. Healthy female = health babies, if the female doesn't look healthy that a good indicator that you may have problems down the line with her young. Sometimes your timing may be off, asking to see them eat isn't always reasonable to ask.

But a dragon that doesn't eat, will be smaller then their clutch mates (there will always be Dominant and less domination individuals even at that young age). A good sign of underfed dragons, is if there a loss of toes or tails within the clutch. Clutch mates will attack other dragons thinking that they are food (worm or cricket) well fed clutches will not have these problems. Young dragons don't tend to get skinny, unless drastically underfed, they just wont grow as fast as ones that get more food.

As a rule, a healthy animals will look.... Healthy and they are hardy animals.

Make sure he's eating veg also, not just crickets. Veg is important.

I personally have NEVER had a dragon that refuses to eat for me, one of my 8 year old females did, but this was a few days before she passed away.

Good idea going to a breeder though, i support pet stores, they further our community and there wouldn't be much of one without them. But from experience it not likely you will walk into a pet store and be passed a baby that they can tell you its exact age, breeders however should be able to.

Good luck with your new addition, have fun, love and care for your little guy/girl and im sure you will be just fine! Not to mention you have a forum full of people willing to help! Keeps us updated and the more questions you ask the better, dont feel as if a question is stupid because there are no stupid questions when it comes to a living animal.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Hatchling

RLS pretty much covered it. Don't be afraid to ask the breeder questions, even the ones that seem stupid, if they're good, they'll have heard it all before and will be able to help you even after the purchase.

It's more common sense than anything else but like RLS said, tail nips (Although some beardies can be born with kinks in their tails) and/or missing toes.

Generally speaking buying from a experienced breeder you're more likely going to get a good baby that will have been looked after and fed well.

Good luck, you'll probably get more, they're infectious