Never kept Reptiles Before Help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Egg
Default Never kept Reptiles Before Help

Hey guys,

I have been keeping marine fish for many years and have decided that i would like a change and have always been interested in reptiles.

My first port of call was to figure out a good beginner one to keep.

I think i have come to the conclusion i would like the keep leopard geckos? Would thid be a good choice or is there something else that would be better?

I would like to keep about 2 or 3 of these but dont want to be dealing with babies. Would i be able to have all females in one tank to stop this? Would this be ok or would there be fighting?

Sorry for such an open question but i am right at the beginning of my journey and want to research as much as i can before i buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Regular

Leo's are best kept on their own but females can be kept together if the viv is big enough and has plenty of hides, but I have found that getting females is difficult and if you buy young ones they are hard to sex and males will really fight. A group of females will also squabble but it shouldn't be a prob as long as the viv is big enough. I keep my male alone in a 3 ft viv(2ft is fine) and he looks happy. Cresties are easy to keep as are beardies or even rankins dragons it will depend on viv size and amount of money you want to spend.

1.0.0 Leopard Gecko "pascal"
2.0.0 Lhasa Apso "Frodo,Obi"
Old 28-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Regular

If you're looking to get your first reptile, your best bet would be a corn snake, a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko. Cliché, and with a few odd exceptions, but generally true.

I've never owned a snake, so I don't really have a clue about them.

In terms of lizards, I don't own them either (lol) but I do know a lot about them as I'm planning on getting a bearded dragon soon, and was very close to getting a leopard gecko recently.

Bearded dragon pros -

Quite possibly one of the tamest reptiles out there
You can handle them a lot
They are diurnal

Bearded dragon cons -

They need both insects and fruit and vegetables
They require more space (4x2x2)

Leopard gecko pros -

They require less space
They only need insects
They're reasonably easy to handle, and aren't the hardest to tame, but bearded dragons are better for this

Leopard gecko cons -

They're nocturnal (so you may not see a lot of him/her during the day, unlike a bearded dragon)

If you want more of a bond with your reptile, I'd go with a beardie just because you'll see more of them and they like to be handled. If you're looking for a lower maintenance reptile, a leopard gecko is your best bet. You can't really go wrong with either as they both make great pets, but that's a pretty decent guideline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu1 View Post
If you're looking to get your first reptile, your best bet would be a corn snake, a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko. Cliché, and with a few odd exceptions, but generally true.

I've never owned a snake, so I don't really have a clue about them.

In terms of lizards, I don't own them either (lol) but I do know a lot about them as I'm planning on getting a bearded dragon soon, and was very close to getting a leopard gecko recently.

Bearded dragon pros -

Quite possibly one of the tamest reptiles out there
You can handle them a lot
They are diurnal

Bearded dragon cons -

They need both insects and fruit and vegetables
They require more space (4x2x2)

Leopard gecko pros -

They require less space
They only need insects
They're reasonably easy to handle, and aren't the hardest to tame, but bearded dragons are better for this

Leopard gecko cons -

They're nocturnal (so you may not see a lot of him/her during the day, unlike a bearded dragon)

If you want more of a bond with your reptile, I'd go with a beardie just because you'll see more of them and they like to be handled. If you're looking for a lower maintenance reptile, a leopard gecko is your best bet. You can't really go wrong with either as they both make great pets, but that's a pretty decent guideline.

I agree with this post but leopard geckos are not nocturnal they are active at dawn and dusk I see my gecko a lot and its a big viv with lots I prefer them to beardies but that's just me Rankins are a good alt to beardies almost the same but smaller and not as common. African fat tailed geckos(possibly the easiest lizoard for holding)are also relatively easy to keep, similar to a Leo in viv size etc but require higher humidity, Anoles are also easy to start with but no good for handling but any of these species are great and I am sure more people with more experience could point you in the direction of more species.

1.0.0 Leopard Gecko "pascal"
2.0.0 Lhasa Apso "Frodo,Obi"
Old 28-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Egg

Thanks guys, thats been very helpful.

I have decided that i would like to keep a single leopard gecko.

Ok so i have been doing some research and it says that above a 40litre tank would be good enough? WOuld something like a 60litre be better?

I was thinking that i would rather get a proper glass front vivarium are is there a good one that i should go with?
Old 28-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Egg

i was thinking of something like this?
Vivexotic Viva Terrestrial Vivarium Small: Oak for only £68.99 Reptile Centre

The only thing im not sure about though is, its got a wood base to it would i be able to put a heat pad under that?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcow View Post
Thanks guys, thats been very helpful.

I have decided that i would like to keep a single leopard gecko.

Ok so i have been doing some research and it says that above a 40litre tank would be good enough? WOuld something like a 60litre be better?

I was thinking that i would rather get a proper glass front vivarium are is there a good one that i should go with?
Minimum requirements for a leo are 24x18x18 imo.
You are right to go for a single one of either sex as even females can take a dislike to eachother. They can seem fine for a long time but may suddenly turn. They prefer to have their own space and territory and will love being on their own so no need for companions.

Plenty of info on leos on the lizard section

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Hatchling

the leo will be happy in that. yes you can have a heat mat. good decision on getting a leo, theyre worth it
Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Egg

Leo's are the best, I do have to say. I started with a Leo and it's helped so much with my expanding.! Beautiful and really sweet they are, I have to say myself. Mine cuddles and gives kisses XP
2 baby turtles (red-eared sliders)
1 Rat Snake (Yellow)
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

I have a beardie, leopard gecko and 2 tokays, all of which have their pluses and minuses.

There are lots of other lizards out there that you might want to consider. I'm a big fan of monitors, but many grow huge. Ackies, however, are great little critters!

Snakes are generally easier and cheaper to keep. The big bonus is that they don't need to be fed every day like most lizards.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”

Tags
gecko