Ball Python Handling... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Regular
Default Ball Python Handling...

Hi Guys,
Just got my first ball python yesterday and I think she is great first snake i'v ever owned, I was just wondering how to approach handling her she's around 6 months old just wondering how much I should or should not be handling her for? (i'v not really handled her yet as i thought best let her get used to her surroundings). Also I forgot to ask when she was last fed at the shop so i was thinking leaving her till monday an try feeding her then.
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Citizen

Personally i would leave her for a few days let her settle in, take into consideration to that she might not eat straight away due to the change move etc. Handling is more for your benefit than the snake so that is really down to what time you have and when you want to handle, just remember not to handle after feeding

1st YummyMummy

Emz
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Forum Citizen

As said above leave her for a few days to settle in and don't handle for at least 24 maybe 48 hrs after eating.

The amount of handling when settled in depends on the snake. Most care sheets / info on the net says not to handle them to much, but my 4mth boy sulks if I don't get him out lol Really !! He'l knock hides over / bang's on the rub lid just because he's not been out one night haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Super Regular

Thanks guy's I think i'll leave her for abit, Another question... I'v read to feed them in a different enclosure, but also as you have said not to handle after eating... So my question is how?/when? do i put her back into her viv?

Thanks Again
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy87 View Post
Thanks guy's I think i'll leave her for abit, Another question... I'v read to feed them in a different enclosure, but also as you have said not to handle after eating... So my question is how?/when? do i put her back into her viv?

Thanks Again

We usually leave new reptiles a week before attempting handling, you don't have to feed them in a different enclosure some people just choose to , it is perfectly fine to feed your snake in the vivarium if you want to that is.
-Chels
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Hypo BCI
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python
1.1.0 Cat
1.0.0 Fully Formed Axolotl
0.0.4 Giant African Land Snail
0.0.1 T.Stirmi

<3
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Hatchling

I got my royal a month ago and haven't touched him yet
All about settling down the stress, he has eaten 3 times though.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Forum Citizen

I feed both of mine in rubs then after a min or so of eating ill put it at an angle slightly at the opening of the viv, and they move themselves back in.

I like to feed them outside of the viv or rub they live in just so they never associate it with feeding, or think my hand coming in to handle them could be food.

Many others feed inside the vivs with no problems though.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB View Post
I feed both of mine in rubs then after a min or so of eating ill put it at an angle slightly at the opening of the viv, and they move themselves back in.

I like to feed them outside of the viv or rub they live in just so they never associate it with feeding, or think my hand coming in to handle them could be food.

Many others feed inside the vivs with no problems though.
Yea, this is my worry, and also the chance of impaction which haunted me with my beardy... Thanks for the info, Also had to get her out tonight needed to put some more clips to hold her thermostat down, she balled up in my palm for a few seconds they came out of it very fast which shocked me and was weaving through my hands but within a few mins she was back in her viv exploring/trying to escape lol... So paranoid that this will un-nerve her, i hope not.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy87 View Post
So paranoid that this will un-nerve her, i hope not.
I really wouldn't worry. They cope better with things than we give them credit for lol

I know someone who brought their 3mth old Royal home and didn't leave him to settle. She had him out of the rub that night / fed him in another rub the following night etc. Basically the complete opposite of what your supposed to do, and he's a very friendly snake now.

I've got a Milk snake which are know to be secretive and it took her 2 weeks until he would come out of her hides with me in the same room (living room lol). She's still a little skittish now but just freezes when she sees you looking at her.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB View Post
I really wouldn't worry. They cope better with things than we give them credit for lol

I know someone who brought their 3mth old Royal home and didn't leave him to settle. She had him out of the rub that night / fed him in another rub the following night etc. Basically the complete opposite of what your supposed to do, and he's a very friendly snake now.

I've got a Milk snake which are know to be secretive and it took her 2 weeks until he would come out of her hides with me in the same room (living room lol). She's still a little skittish now but just freezes when she sees you looking at her.
Yea, your mind plays the better of you i think if i got another beardy or gecko I would have confidence, but as snakes are new to me I feel really cautious about upsetting her cheers for putting my mind at rest

Tags
ball python.