crested gecko vivarium temp problems - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Hatchling

brill thanx ma wee boy desperate to hold him, i did u wot u said & taped probe to glass so its sitting jst a little above the mat on outside although the instructions say inside the tank??

hes sitting up on a branch the now i thot he would try hide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Super Regular

That is normal. They are nocturnal and will usually hide in the day time but they may seem to be out in the open as they camoflauge rather than hide under things also he may well be sussing out his new surroundings but believe me if they want to hide they will i couldnt tell you how many times i pancked thinking mine had escaped only to realise he was right under my nose lol
Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
5 Star Member

Can I just say that heat mats aren't really suitable for cresties. They'll have to lie on the glass to get any warmth and that's not how they're adapted, they're adapted to bask in light. Heat mats only warm up the surface and are pretty useless at heating the air.

When you have the opportunity, I would get a ceramic or light emitting bulb and get a canopy (that sits on top of the tank) and use this instead (with a thermostat and digital thermometers). Cresties are know known to not thrive at room temperatures but instead do much better with basking temperatures around 30C. They are also crepuscular rather than nocturnal so benefit from UVB lights.

He's a lovely looking gecko (light ones are one of my favourites!) and seems to be in good condition

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Regular

I was just going to say the same thing. I have a pair of cresties in a planted tank so I use a 2% UV in a canopy fitting for the plants. To top up the temperature during the day/night I use a reflector light fitting with a 15w (red/clear colour) bulb. During this cold weather, it raises the temperature quite a few degrees must be doing something right, as they have started mating recently
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Hatchling

thanx for the replies, re to lights can u give any links for me to look at plz & abit more info.

hes seems to be doing alrite for his 1st night. eaten 5 crickets and seems lively now, hes also pooped loves it wen i spray the viv aswell

care guide says feed him live every couple of days. how many crickets roughly. totally new to this so as many tips/advice as poss much appreciated
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
5 Star Member

Well there's a couple ways of lighting - some people use a canopy that sits on top of the tank, these can usually hold low watt bulbs and UV bulbs. Other people use a ceramic and sit it on top of the tank using a dome (so that the heating ceramic doesn't sit directly on the mesh). You can put the bulbs inside the tank and attach it to the mesh however this is more difficult and can result in burns if it's not used properly/the cresties is silly.

A link to the canopies I'm talking about > Reptile Light Canopies - Surrey Pet Supplies

Which ever choice you pick (if you do) you'll need to use this in conjunction with a thermostat and digital thermometer.

You can feed live however often you want really and in whatever quantities he wants. You'll soon learn how often and how much he'll eat, so it's very specific to each individual. If he'll eat more than 5 in a sitting, then give him a few more. Just make sure any live food is dusted and gut loaded. Are you using any crested gecko diet?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Hatchling

This is his viv i have the heatmat on right hand side in the middle of the glass with the thermometer and thermostat probe nxt to it right now temp showing as 26. is a ceramic bulb really necessary as its not tht big an enclosure? i will buy it if i need to should i move the thermometer to somewhere else in viv or leave it where it is.

hes got gecko diet mixed with baby fruit puree as thts wot he was eating in the store, dnt know if he had any yet.

how often shld u feed a 5mth old live food and the crickets have bug gel and food stuff i have 1 of those house things for them also.

i do want wots best for him
Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
5 Star Member

Not necessarily a ceramic but a bulb is far superior to a mat when it comes to cresties. He won't be getting heat in the right way with a mat and it'll restrict his movement if he wants warmth.

Is that a picture of your setup? Because it looks like there is already a canopy?

The thermostat and thermometer probe would probably be best against the glass where the mat is to prevent it from getting too hot.

If you're able to, I would get a lot more cover in there (more vines, pieces of wood and plants). He'll appreciate extra cover.

CGD should be offered up higher as they are often reluctant to go to the floor. If he's going for the live food more than the CGD I would feed them to him maybe every other day, and keep the CGD in constantly. You'll need to feed the crickets different things, scraps of vegetable and fruit is perfect.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Hatchling

yeah changed it up a wee bit since then put the plants on the side walls will add more to it as time goes on.

yep it has a canopy already so wot kind of bulb, sure box says max 25w will the mat be ok as temporary measure coz am kinda skint now getting all his stuff in lol i assume when i have the bulb then i remove the mat???

how do u get his food bowl up high i tried but the branches dnt hold it steady enough
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM
5 Star Member

Maybe a 15w? You might have to try with a couple of bulbs and see which one gets the best temperature. I'm sure I've gotten close to 30C with just a 15w. Mat should be ok in the short-term.

I wouldn't have both the heat mat and the bulb on at the same time, but if you're worried about night time temperatures the mat could probably be used for that.

You can get special magnetic ledges with food bowls attached. You'll have to look around for them though, or make them yourself.

Tags
crested gecko