crested gecko vivarium temp problems - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Hatchling
Default crested gecko vivarium temp problems

hi all need some advice. going to pick up my gecko on sun afternoon. had the viv since yesterday shop told me dnt need heat products as they live at room temp. my house is really cold in winter and right now i'm getting day time temps of 18.6 at 7.30am - 20.4 by 5pm. 2nite its been between 19.3 - 21.3. i went to a diff pet store this afternoon told the staff my probs she said yeah u need a heat mat, put it on the side and just switch off if gets too hot etc. well its only raised temp by 1 degree. should i take it back getting really stressed, dnt want to let my son down by not having viv right to bring the gecko home any advice would be appreciated.

i have an exo terra viv H 53 x W 36 x D 36 cm using a small exo terra desert mat

thanx trisha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Regular

Where is the thermometers probe? It may seem like common sense but it should be as near to the heat source as possible. The heat mat shouldnt cover the whole side so she have a warm and a cool end if the probe is at the cool end Then you wont detect much difference. Also is the mat attached to a thermostat? Aside from the safety issues it resolves a thermostat should allow you to increase and decrease the mats output levels
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Hatchling

the probe is at the back of the viv it has holes where u put it i have it the side where the heat mat is, its it doesnt cover the whole side. she said it would be ok as he would go to it if he wanted a bit heat. but i'm still worried i cant seem to keep temp steady & its cold at night.

the lady said i didnt need a thermosat??

i'm totally lost is heat mat the right thing as i'm reading the dnt heat actually viv, should i take it back get something else?

wot temps are the lowest temps he can live at??

sorry for the questions but want it to be right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Hatchling

ok so moved the probe into the viv jst above the substrate near the heater the temp now was 25.2 then after a misting it dropped abit to 23.8. so appears it is working then, oh i put a layer of tin foil on back of heat mat should i remove it or is it ok??

thanx for the advice will leave heat mat on as gecko not there yet and record morning temp when house heating off.

with regard to thermostats what type should i get and how do they work

thanx again
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Regular

All sounds a bit better they are quite a hardy species but if it is too cold then it wont be very active and wont eat as much thus meaning it wont grow as well assuming you are buying a juvenile. I use habistat thermostats that all work well it plugs into the mains. You then plug the mat into the termostat i use nail tweezers or a very small screw driver to adjust the temps to the desired level on the dial. Make sure to place the thermostats probe on the heat mat. Its main purpose is to prevent the heat mat over heating which could ultimatley cause a fire. When i first started out i asked my local rep shop owner how important they were and he explained how he lost half a house and over 200 animals because he didnt use them so they are important lol. Finally yes i would definatly remove the tin foil as it is also again a fire hazard. No need to apologise questions are the point of the forum and im happy i can be of help
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Hatchling

Microclimate Ministat 100 PAH | Pets at Home

is this wot i need & how does it work??
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Super Regular

Its not the same as mine but it should do the job just as well. By placing the probe on the mat it reads the mats temperature. It then adjusts the output of the mat to provide the desired heat which is set manually on the dial. In the case of the mat over heating to dangerous levels it would fuse causing the mat to stop working as a safety measure to prevent fire. If you have the dial set at the lower end to provide low levels of heat then you may find that will be switch on and of regularly this is not a fault it is just allowing the mat to reach the desired temps then switching it off as the temp begins to drop again it will turn the mat back on. Remember though the dial on the thermostat will set the desired heat for the actual mat. Not for the tank. This still needs to be measured seperatly by your in tank thermometers. Assuming you have a glass tank you may need to set the thermostat a fair bit higher than the desired heat within the tank as the heat first needs to travel through the glass.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Hatchling

thanx so much feel alot better now.

does the probe go inside or outside the tank for the thermostat?

assuming i want 23-24 c i would set thermostat about wot c?? in re to allowing for temp to reach all of tank
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Super Regular

The probe goes on the mat outside the viv how high to set the temps really varies dramatically dependant on the ambient temperature in the room in average room temps i would suggest maybe 10 degrees higher than your desired tank heat however it will be a game of trial and error to get it right for your room. If your house is paticularly cold you may need to put all the way up to max. Its a question i really can not answer for you im afraid. I dont know the room temperature. The stength of the mat the size of the mat the thickness of the glass the contents of the tank. All these are varying factors. The more packed out the tank for example the more it will trap the heat inside.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Hatchling

thanx very much for ur help much appreciated was having a panic attack about everything, feel so much better. gona try add a couple of pics of the wee guy.

trisha x

Tags
crested gecko