Beardie not interested in veg - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Hatchling
Red face Beardie not interested in veg

Hi guys.

I'm a bit of a newbie at this but I rescued a beardie from a friend who due to personal circumstances couldn't keep him anymore. He's a juvenile at between 6-7 months old. I'm feeding him crickets and mealworms, both of which he loves but he's not at all interested in his veg. It just sits in his viv and goes dry. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Regular

Try putting the mealies in his Veg, it may encourage him to eat the veg. As he's only 6/7 months old it's not a big problem it only becomes a problem when they are adults and they are meant to eat more veg.. Which if it carries on my vet advised me to stop feeding my beardie live food and just give him the veg option and it does work you just have to be strong and think it's for the best. But honestly i wouldn't worry about the lack of veg eating too much yet....
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Hatchling

Thank you! That's really helpful advice I'll give it a go. He's hiding under his rock at the mo so I'll try again at lunch time with fresh veg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Premier Citizen

If you leave the mealies in with his veg in his bowl it may encourage him to eat it on himself as well which is easier for youSorry if i misunderstood it just came across as if you were feeding him veg personally rather than leaving it in a bowl with mealies,sorry again if I'm wrong.
-Chels
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Hypo BCI
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python
1.1.0 Cat
1.0.0 Fully Formed Axolotl
0.0.4 Giant African Land Snail
0.0.1 T.Stirmi

<3
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Hatchling

I tried leaving the mealies in, they've just got out though and disappeared under the substrate lol. His veg is in a bowl but he'd still much rather have crickets. He's still young enough to have mainly crickets but I'm worried he won't want veg as an adult when he really needs it. Will his tastes change naturally do you think?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

Wack some cut up raspberries mixed in with the salad and see what he/she does.

Mine LOVES raspberries, not good for a staple diet but as a treat it's fine.

It might just need that little bit to make it go "ooh hang on, this green stuff ain't too bad"

RFUK POTM February 2013 - 3rd Place!!
[CENTER]
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Regular

my 2yr old beardie doesnt touch her veg at all, i have tried everything that is readuly available to try, different greens, different fruits, mealworms in veg, wax worms in veg.. nothing to make her start eating greens! she did have a couple of bits when she picked a wax worm up but still didnt return to it.

i now gut load my livefood with all the green i buy for her.. i feed her every other day with live food and she seems very happy, pooing regular, basking after food etc

so even as an adult i wouldnt worry to much aboutt hem not touching greens.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady1987 View Post
I tried leaving the mealies in, they've just got out though and disappeared under the substrate lol. His veg is in a bowl but he'd still much rather have crickets. He's still young enough to have mainly crickets but I'm worried he won't want veg as an adult when he really needs it. Will his tastes change naturally do you think?
I wouldn't lose to much sleep about it honestly my beardy is 2 and 1/2 years old now and he's just like me doesn't like his veg but every now an then i ONLY offer him veg just so he is'nt just eating live food and he will eat it for a while but then goes off it.... To put your mind at rest, i taken mine to the vets i wasted 120 pound on vet bills from blood tests to stool tests to find out he was healthy.

Just to clarify i taken him the vets because he wasn't a regular pooper... Got out a massive turd.... Poops once to twice a week now.
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Posting Deity

Cooked butternut squash seems to be a fave with a lot of beardies
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Citizen

Have u tried leaving the live food off for a few days

1st YummyMummy

Emz

Tags
beardie , crickets , juvenile , veg