bearded dragon viv setup - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Hatchling
Default bearded dragon viv setup

ok i have a viv ( 4ftx2x2 ) and i've been told many different things of what i need in it but i'm not sure still , can someone give me a list of things i need ?
thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Regular

Repti Glo 10.0 UVB bulb (I use a tube) Also if you get a tube i recommend buying a reflector.
Exo Terra Daylight Basking Spot, 100 Watt
As you have a 4ft Viv i recommend the 100 Watt Bulb And having a high wattage Bulb I highly recommend Getting a thermostat.(I Have a Habistat)

Whatever you do, do not get a heat matt for your beardy as they do not feel the heat to good and it will burn your little guy/girl.

But yea that's your basics and also some Log's to climb on but they need to be treated or easier buy from your local Pet shop.

Hope you found this helpfull.
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'

Last edited by Hardy87; 02-03-2013 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Forgot One thing.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Banned

Arcadia 3ft (ish) 12.0 T5 UVB tube.
Spot light - no need for fancy boxed reptile brands. A 60 / 75watt household bulb will do the job and stick it on a dimming thermostat to stop it over heating.

Then you just need decor,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
5 Star Member

Personally I wouldn't bother with an Exo Terra UVB. You're far better going for an Arcadia T5 as they are the most advanced lights that emit more UVB. You'll need a high percentage tube that goes 2/3 - 3/4 the length of the viv starting from the hot end. Agreed with above though, you need a reflector or you're wasting a lot of the light to the walls.

Heat lamp - whatever you fancy. You can use spot bulbs/halogens/reflector bulbs and normal household likes. Watt depends on height of the bulb, height of basking spot and ambient temperatures. I would go with a 60-75w to begin with and a raised basking spot. A dimming thermostat is best to prevent overheating. Along with this you'll need a digital thermometer as the dial on the thermostats tend to be rubbish (as are dial thermometers).

A couple of bowls, one for veg and another for water if you choose.

Logs, rocks, decor etc.

Substrate - do your own research on this as everyone says something different. General consensus is to stay away from wood chip and start with lino, reptile carpet or slate. If you feel confident that your husbandry is spot on and the dragon doesn't eat it, you can try play sand.

You'll also need supplements, I recommend Repashy calcium plus.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Ultra Citizen
Thumbs up

A 3ft UVB light, Arcadia are a popular brand on here but I use the Glo T8.

A 100W basking bulb on a thermostat

A timer switch/socket

A water bowl big enough for your beardie to get in (mine loves to crap in it)

A raised platform for basking is good but not essential

Vitamin dust for salads

Calcium dust for livefood

DECENT substrate, I'd recommend wood chips. NOT SAND! It's dangerous as the beardie can end up with impaction if it eats too much substrate with its meals which can and does happen.

They're the main things, then you want cleaning fluid, 1 spare UVB and 1 spare basking light - personal choice as sods luck means it'll blow at 9am Sunday morning and your local pet shop it shut.

Apart from those though the rest is just decor to cater to your own preferences, I would recommend places like dunellm mill as apposed to exo terra etc as the product is more or less the same but the price is monumentally different :victory:

Post some pics when you've got it all set up!!

RFUK POTM February 2013 - 3rd Place!!
[CENTER]
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mar View Post
ok i have a viv ( 4ftx2x2 ) and i've been told many different things of what i need in it but i'm not sure still , can someone give me a list of things i need ?
thank you very much
At work, when we set a viv up for a beardie we use:
4x2x2 viv, UV bulb ( a tube, normally 3ft long), basking lamp (100w) heat mat, habistat mat sat.
Substarate is of personal preference. Personally I use wood chips, but that's because my beardies dig. Slate tiles are good is your worried about compaction. Sand I wouldn't recommend for a young beardie, but again personal preference.
Feed dish, water bowl, basking material. A rock, or wood, completely up to you and the look you are going for. Lots of good items on the market.
Make sure you get yourself down to a reputable reptile shop.
Many bogus people on the market!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Hatchling

Sorry to thread-jack

Im also curremtly setting up a beardie viv. What are the best vitamin & calcium dusts to get?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Regular

Repashy Calcium Plus is considered the best one to use. It's an all in one so you don't need to add anything else to it, and you can use it every feeding.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Premier Member

HI,

Im happy to help if you have any further lighting questions, this is the most important thing ot think about and should be viewed as the animals "Life support system"

Have a read of this link and read through Tom Cannons build guide. this link takes a min or so to load as its a big file http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-co..._PRK_Mar13.pdf

Again let me know if I can be of any help

John
Hardy87 likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com