To have a heat mat or to not have a heat mat? That is the question - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Hatchling

If it helps, his viv temp this morning before his light went on was 14C (57F). He warmed up quite quick once the light went old but that's pretty cold. It's tacked onto the back wall, not underneath, as the reptile shop said the same, they detect heat from above. 14C sounds too low to me. My house is pretty chilly at night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Hatchling

fair enough.... that shut me up.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Regular

Yeah, 14C is pretty nippy for a beardie. Its not dire, but definitely the cooler(est) side you'd want to let a young beardie drop. I'd say your options are; move the viv to a warmer area of the house. If using a ceramic, install a day/night stat (which cycles the primary heater to a lower temp at night). Install a red bulb to take the night temps up a bit. Or, put in a bigger heat mat (I'm not convinced this would be too effective, as it wasnt massively cold where I was last night and a bigger mat would prob only get you a couple of degrees C's, whereas it sounds like you could do with 5C ish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydee View Post
Yeah, 14C is pretty nippy for a beardie. Its not dire, but definitely the cooler(est) side you'd want to let a young beardie drop. I'd say your options are; move the viv to a warmer area of the house. If using a ceramic, install a day/night stat (which cycles the primary heater to a lower temp at night). Install a red bulb to take the night temps up a bit. Or, put in a bigger heat mat (I'm not convinced this would be too effective, as it wasnt massively cold where I was last night and a bigger mat would prob only get you a couple of degrees C's, whereas it sounds like you could do with 5C ish)
Not really needed they can hit minus temps but if you want the heat up put the bulb on a dimming stat so if it hits below a certain temp it turns slightly on
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Not really needed they can hit minus temps but if you want the heat up put the bulb on a dimming stat so if it hits below a certain temp it turns slightly on
A beardie can hit minus temps?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Been heard of wouldent want to test it tho my house hits 16 and mine are fine
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady1987 View Post
Hi guys

I went into our local reptile store yesterday to get advice on correct heating and lighting for our beardie who we rescued 2 days ago. They sold me a heat mat for the nighttime to keep his viv at around low 70sF but I've been told by a couple of people that a heat mat is not necessary and he may burn himself on it.

I'm worried I've been fleeced by the shop and I can't take this mat back now cos we've put holes through it to pin it to the back of his viv

Help!!
I have 2 beardies and they BOTH have heat mats. They are good for keeping a consistent temp, especially over night when the lights are off. Mine are selopated to the bottom of the viv (round the sides) on the hot side with a thick layer of substrate over the top.
The way I look at it, is that they come from a hot country, a heat mat is not going to reach the temperature that a rock would out in Australia, and they bask on those all day. Although they cannot regulate their own body temperature, if they get too hot they will move!
I've have no problems with mine what so ever. And I think they are brilliant, especially as I live in a very old Victorian house and the temps do drop very low.
I also have a heat mat in my tegu enclosure.
If you feel the temps drop a lot in your house, then use it.
If you are worried, connect a thermostat and set it at a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Been heard of wouldent want to test it tho my house hits 16 and mine are fine
Been heard of where??
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndJayFuzz View Post
I have 2 beardies and they BOTH have heat mats. They are good for keeping a consistent temp, especially over night when the lights are off. Mine are selopated to the bottom of the viv (round the sides) on the hot side with a thick layer of substrate over the top.
The way I look at it, is that they come from a hot country, a heat mat is not going to reach the temperature that a rock would out in Australia, and they bask on those all day. Although they cannot regulate their own body temperature, if they get too hot they will move!
I've have no problems with mine what so ever. And I think they are brilliant, especially as I live in a very old Victorian house and the temps do drop very low.
If you are worried, connect a thermostat and set it at a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
so much wrong with that post,but just 2 things,sticky tape of any kind is a big NO NO in vivs,and i take it you don't use stats on mats in the viv
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Australian Capital Territory Climate and Weather Averages

It changes depending on where you look, but I've seen temperatures lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndJayFuzz View Post
How hot does it get over the heat mat (without the other heating on) and on top of the substrate out of curiosity?

It doesn't stay hot at night, everything gets very cold and beardies hide away.

You should always use a thermostat on a heat mat, regardless of placement and species. Mine easily get to 50C without a stat!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/

Tags
beardie , heating , heatmat