To have a heat mat or to not have a heat mat? That is the question - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Hatchling
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
Default

If it helps, his viv temp this morning before his light went on was 14C (57F). He warmed up quite quick once the light went old but that's pretty cold. It's tacked onto the back wall, not underneath, as the reptile shop said the same, they detect heat from above. 14C sounds too low to me. My house is pretty chilly at night
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Hatchling
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

fair enough.... that shut me up.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
diddlydee's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Yeah, 14C is pretty nippy for a beardie. Its not dire, but definitely the cooler(est) side you'd want to let a young beardie drop. I'd say your options are; move the viv to a warmer area of the house. If using a ceramic, install a day/night stat (which cycles the primary heater to a lower temp at night). Install a red bulb to take the night temps up a bit. Or, put in a bigger heat mat (I'm not convinced this would be too effective, as it wasnt massively cold where I was last night and a bigger mat would prob only get you a couple of degrees C's, whereas it sounds like you could do with 5C ish)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: aberdeen
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydee View Post
Yeah, 14C is pretty nippy for a beardie. Its not dire, but definitely the cooler(est) side you'd want to let a young beardie drop. I'd say your options are; move the viv to a warmer area of the house. If using a ceramic, install a day/night stat (which cycles the primary heater to a lower temp at night). Install a red bulb to take the night temps up a bit. Or, put in a bigger heat mat (I'm not convinced this would be too effective, as it wasnt massively cold where I was last night and a bigger mat would prob only get you a couple of degrees C's, whereas it sounds like you could do with 5C ish)
Not really needed they can hit minus temps but if you want the heat up put the bulb on a dimming stat so if it hits below a certain temp it turns slightly on
__________________
  • 1.1.0 Jungle carpet pythons
  • 1.0.0 lesser platinum royal python
  • 1.0.0 spider royal python
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM
diddlydee's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Not really needed they can hit minus temps but if you want the heat up put the bulb on a dimming stat so if it hits below a certain temp it turns slightly on
A beardie can hit minus temps?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: aberdeen
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydee View Post
A beardie can hit minus temps?
Been heard of wouldent want to test it tho my house hits 16 and mine are fine
__________________
  • 1.1.0 Jungle carpet pythons
  • 1.0.0 lesser platinum royal python
  • 1.0.0 spider royal python
  • 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
GeorgiaAndJayFuzz's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 1,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady1987 View Post
Hi guys

I went into our local reptile store yesterday to get advice on correct heating and lighting for our beardie who we rescued 2 days ago. They sold me a heat mat for the nighttime to keep his viv at around low 70sF but I've been told by a couple of people that a heat mat is not necessary and he may burn himself on it.

I'm worried I've been fleeced by the shop and I can't take this mat back now cos we've put holes through it to pin it to the back of his viv

Help!!
I have 2 beardies and they BOTH have heat mats. They are good for keeping a consistent temp, especially over night when the lights are off. Mine are selopated to the bottom of the viv (round the sides) on the hot side with a thick layer of substrate over the top.
The way I look at it, is that they come from a hot country, a heat mat is not going to reach the temperature that a rock would out in Australia, and they bask on those all day. Although they cannot regulate their own body temperature, if they get too hot they will move!
I've have no problems with mine what so ever. And I think they are brilliant, especially as I live in a very old Victorian house and the temps do drop very low.
I also have a heat mat in my tegu enclosure.
If you feel the temps drop a lot in your house, then use it.
If you are worried, connect a thermostat and set it at a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
diddlydee's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Been heard of wouldent want to test it tho my house hits 16 and mine are fine
Been heard of where??
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Keighley
Posts: 2,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndJayFuzz View Post
I have 2 beardies and they BOTH have heat mats. They are good for keeping a consistent temp, especially over night when the lights are off. Mine are selopated to the bottom of the viv (round the sides) on the hot side with a thick layer of substrate over the top.
The way I look at it, is that they come from a hot country, a heat mat is not going to reach the temperature that a rock would out in Australia, and they bask on those all day. Although they cannot regulate their own body temperature, if they get too hot they will move!
I've have no problems with mine what so ever. And I think they are brilliant, especially as I live in a very old Victorian house and the temps do drop very low.
I also have a heat mat in my tegu enclosure.
If you feel the temps drop a lot in your house, then use it.
If you are worried, connect a thermostat and set it at a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
so much wrong with that post,but just 2 things,sticky tape of any kind is a big NO NO in vivs,and i take it you don't use stats on mats in the viv
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
vgorst's Avatar
5 Star Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent
Posts: 4,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydee View Post
A beardie can hit minus temps?
Australian Capital Territory Climate and Weather Averages

It changes depending on where you look, but I've seen temperatures lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndJayFuzz View Post
I have 2 beardies and they BOTH have heat mats. They are good for keeping a consistent temp, especially over night when the lights are off. Mine are selopated to the bottom of the viv (round the sides) on the hot side with a thick layer of substrate over the top.
The way I look at it, is that they come from a hot country, a heat mat is not going to reach the temperature that a rock would out in Australia, and they bask on those all day. Although they cannot regulate their own body temperature, if they get too hot they will move!
I've have no problems with mine what so ever. And I think they are brilliant, especially as I live in a very old Victorian house and the temps do drop very low.
I also have a heat mat in my tegu enclosure.
If you feel the temps drop a lot in your house, then use it.
If you are worried, connect a thermostat and set it at a temperature that you feel comfortable with.
How hot does it get over the heat mat (without the other heating on) and on top of the substrate out of curiosity?

It doesn't stay hot at night, everything gets very cold and beardies hide away.

You should always use a thermostat on a heat mat, regardless of placement and species. Mine easily get to 50C without a stat!
__________________


https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beardie , heating , heatmat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SE England Loads Of Habistat Pulse Stats, Heat Mats, Heat Cables UnBOAlievable_Morphs Equipment Classifieds 20 25-02-2013 06:31 PM
African Pygmy Hedgehog & Heat Mat/Ceramic Heat Emitter advice needed NalaBaby Exotic Mammals 4 14-12-2011 08:56 PM
Heat mat or Red heat bulb for primary heat source for leo? Nick_96297 Lizards 13 29-10-2011 07:34 PM
leopard gecko heat, heat bulb or heat mat ? Superdryyy Lizards 13 08-10-2010 06:45 PM
To heat or not to heat... that is the question boygeorge Newbie Advice 4 24-09-2008 10:41 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)