pet shop nightmare!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Regular
Exclamation pet shop nightmare!!

so iv been getting my locust from my pet shop recently I haven't been able to get hold of them as they always seem to be out of stock :S not only do I want locust I would like something to fatten my bearded dragon up as she need to put on weight but they don't seem to sell anything, iv tried a few shops but fail in finding what im after so debating going to an online site were they deliver and I can get what im after any one now of any good place's I can try iv never done this order food online and im desperate to find a great place that stock what im after for my bearded dragon.
Also anyone have any easy ways to coat my medium sized locust in the calcium powder? its so tricky so after a few way/idea's on how other people go about doing this
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighsuzanne View Post
so iv been getting my locust from my pet shop recently I haven't been able to get hold of them as they always seem to be out of stock :S not only do I want locust I would like something to fatten my bearded dragon up as she need to put on weight but they don't seem to sell anything, iv tried a few shops but fail in finding what im after so debating going to an online site were they deliver and I can get what im after any one now of any good place's I can try iv never done this order food online and im desperate to find a great place that stock what im after for my bearded dragon.
Also anyone have any easy ways to coat my medium sized locust in the calcium powder? its so tricky so after a few way/idea's on how other people go about doing this
thank you
hi i use either livefoods direct or livefoods for good and never had any problems with either
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Ultra Citizen

Swell reptiles, Northampton reptile centre, ricks livefood. There's loads of top quality suppliers online

RFUK POTM February 2013 - 3rd Place!!
[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Super Citizen

Yep, Livefoods direct, cheapest place I know. Erm... you could either open the locust tub a bit and drop a pinch of powder in then shake the tub; or you could put the locusts in a tank with a mesh lid and sprinkle powder through; or you could catch each individual locust and sprinkle powder on whilst holding it; or you could dust the locusts' food.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Regular

thank you for all your advice its brilliant going to go with live food direct this time see how they are but if im not keen I have lots of other places to try so very happy thank you, also can my baby bearded dragon 4 months old, need to gain a bit of weight as I feel she's a bit on the thin side so looking to feed her soething that will fatten her up a bit as shes to thin and shes quite small maybe shes smaller then 4 months but she was apparently born November so not to sure, would she be ok with wax worms?....should I just give her meal worms and locust?
yea im going to try and get them while there still in the box or open a corner into the calcium powder and they can just fall onto it when they get out the box as I don't like handling them lol.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Premier Member

There are often shortages of supply with locust for many reasons, failure of crop is usual.

Its a great idea to have some back up sources like an online retailer as different retailers use different farms.

I have just uploaded a feeding guide to the D3 cycle pade of our website. It will show you what are the best food sources and the ones to miss out. anyway its FREE so have a look The D3 Cycle : Arcadia Reptile

any questions let me know

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
5 Star Member

i cant reccomend rs reptiles highly enough, cheapest i found and quality is excellent also delivery is alot cheaper than most to.

RIP little pedro.

3 boas - 1.1.0 , 1.1 fire skinks, 2 iggys, 3 boscs 1.2.0,
3 kings - 1.2.0, one female nile, 4 leopard geckos 1.3.0, 5 fish
4 rabbits 4 rats, 6 cats. 11 ferrets, 1 alaskan shepherd, 3 carpet pythons 2.1., 0.0.1 brb , one water dragon 1.0.0, 4 royal pythons 1.1.0, four corn snakes 2.2.0. 2 leos, 1 fire skink,
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Postaholic Member

Ive used most the online shops mentioned myself and cant fault them. You could also look into breeding your own dubia roach colony......easy as anything to breed/cant climb smooth surfaces...so no escapees, cheap to feed and maintain/great food source and nice chunky nutricious bugs. Plenty of info on this forum of how to set up and keep them in feeder and lizard sections. Take a fair few months to get going but once started.....you have a steady food source and will save yourself lots of money in the long run. I feed mine to spiders/my crestie and leopard geckos and am so glad I decided to breed my own as they're no trouble and dont smell

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Try feeding mealworms and then morios as it gets s bit bigger. Above all, offer a variety as beardies can get fussy.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
There are often shortages of supply with locust for many reasons, failure of crop is usual.

Its a great idea to have some back up sources like an online retailer as different retailers use different farms.

I have just uploaded a feeding guide to the D3 cycle pade of our website. It will show you what are the best food sources and the ones to miss out. anyway its FREE so have a look The D3 Cycle : Arcadia Reptile

any questions let me know

John

I personally found this extremely helpful thank you