Newbie advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Egg
Default Newbie advice

I'm thinking seriously about getting my first snake (a ball python) and I've seen some advertised as "strike feeders", I understand what that means but I've seen clips of snakes on you tube where they don't seem to be strike feeding - they just sit there munching away at their own pace. Do you need to buy a new young snake that is advertised as having "six consecutive strike feeds" etc? or does it not matter?

I'm new to all this so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genter View Post
I'm thinking seriously about getting my first snake (a ball python) and I've seen some advertised as "strike feeders", I understand what that means but I've seen clips of snakes on you tube where they don't seem to be strike feeding - they just sit there munching away at their own pace. Do you need to buy a new young snake that is advertised as having "six consecutive strike feeds" etc? or does it not matter?

I'm new to all this so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

i wouldnt buy any snake without seeing a feeding record. but then it could have been marked as fed but not. best thing is see snake in person check for signs of burns underweight illness. hope this helps

male and female snow corns
male carolina corn
pastel boa constrictor
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Egg

Thanks for the advice. In terms of feeding though - are all pythons basically "Strike" feeders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genter View Post
Thanks for the advice. In terms of feeding though - are all pythons basically "Strike" feeders?
Not strictly, no... I have only a basic knowledge of snakes myself so someone feel free to correct me, but there are several different 'types' of feeders when it comes to snakes, and such feeding behaviours aren't strictly limited to one species over another.
Strike feeders will basically launch themselves at their food when presented to them with tongs.
Drop feeders will go for their food when it's left for them in the viv.
It's all down to the individual snake, really.

That's my understanding, anyway
Artisan and Genter like this.

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Postaholic Member

It all depends on the snake itself....some strike/some are more shy and prefer you to lay it down on something so they can mosey over and eat it with manners (drop feeders)/some wont eat unless they are left in silence and darkness. You can 'train' ( for want of a better term) them to go from drop feeding to strike feeding sometimes but at the end of the day as long as its eating i dont see the problem with the way it goes about it.
Strike feeding does show a good strong feeding response but even strong feeders can refuse or fast for a length of time wether its for breeding season/not hungry/somethings changed in its husbandry or other issues.
Generally its good practice for sellers to maintain feeding/shedding records to show any potential buyers that the snake is a good feeder but anyone can make this up .....though any decent seller wouldn't.
Iv'e had a few none feeders that just have'nt been offered food in the way they prefer and just simply offering it a different way can have them snapping your hand off almost. They all have funny little preferences and there are many ways to feed a snake/tricks to try. If your husbandry is correct and the snake feels secure in its enclosure then theres no reason it wont feed week after week for you once you work out how it likes being offered its dinner and the only times it should really refuse meals is if its ill/breeding season or your set up is a bit off
Genter likes this.

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Egg

Thanks for all these comments guys, really helpful
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Forum Citizen

All my boas were bought as "strike feeders" I viewed every single one before i bought them, made sure they looked in good health, checked for burns, checked they were a good size for the age, asked to see feeding records, shed records and poop records - A good reptile shop usually stock all of this!!

Going on what's written above its all really good information!! And yes every snake is different! Even though I bought mine as "strike feeders" I have a couple which prefer to eat in private so I leave there food by their hides over night, some are nutters when it comes to feeding! I have one who is gentle as anything when it comes to eating, won't strike the rat from the tongs...prefers to take it in her mouth and retreat back to her hide where it gets devoured...even if i wiggle the rat abit to make it seem as if its alive its no different she will take it gently and retreat...I think she has worked out the food is dead lol. Don't get me wrong she loves her grub and is currently about 6.5foot at 2years old and she is my little angel!!!!
Genter likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko2114 View Post
All my boas were bought as "strike feeders" I viewed every single one before i bought them, made sure they looked in good health, checked for burns, checked they were a good size for the age, asked to see feeding records, shed records and poop records - A good reptile shop usually stock all of this!!

Going on what's written above its all really good information!! And yes every snake is different! Even though I bought mine as "strike feeders" I have a couple which prefer to eat in private so I leave there food by their hides over night, some are nutters when it comes to feeding! I have one who is gentle as anything when it comes to eating, won't strike the rat from the tongs...prefers to take it in her mouth and retreat back to her hide where it gets devoured...even if i wiggle the rat abit to make it seem as if its alive its no different she will take it gently and retreat...I think she has worked out the food is dead lol. Don't get me wrong she loves her grub and is currently about 6.5foot at 2years old and she is my little angel!!!!
Thanks for the advice, this is all really useful
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Regular

I have a royal and I chose not to strike feed him due to having young kids I didn't want him getting use to striking for food. I feed him in a separate rub as I use aspen in this home. I place the defrosted and warmed mouse on the paper towel that lines his feeding rub then put him in and the rest is history. He's never missed a feed and he's never striked out at anything (so far anyway) hope that helps
Genter likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Chance

Everybody has given good advice. Thankfully all my snakes except my hognose are/were strike feeders. With the hoggy you just leave the food in the viv and he'll come out at night and eat it at his own pace.

Personally I love snakes strike feeding as it is more natural and you can't beat the buzz of a massive boa lunging out of a box at you to grab the rat!!!

If you don't wanna get bitten in the viv feed your snake in a separate box. Thats what we did, then they don't associate your hands in the viv with food. Worked for me! Plus it gives you chance to give the viv a quick clean out whilst the snake is eating. You shouldn't handle them for a while after eating and try lift the box and let them move themselves back into the viv. If you handle too soon after feeding they can regurgitate! And thats minging.
Genter likes this.

Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?

Tags
strike feeding