what to start with? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexpanther
Thank you for the great advice, i'm new to the whole idea of getting a snake. got a beardie already. really want a royal and have been researching for days on end. i think the addiction may have kicked in even before buying. i love how many morphs there are. finally decided to get a phantom as my first but have read this and think i will get set up before i choose my snake. can't wait. thanks again folks.
i grew up with royals beautiful snakes.

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Super Regular

yea, the easiest pet i'v owned it leopard gecko's i'v never had any problems with them, but beardy's are nice to he was my first and he's my fav over all of my pets... I'v been told Royal pythons and corns are the best beginner snakes.... I'll let you know in a years time about that got myself a Royal 3 week back but i'm enjoying her company
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'
Old 20-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Egg

i've had a beardie for four years now. the we fella is a legend. never had any reptiles before him. has facinated me ever since i got him.
Advertisement

Old 21-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Premier Citizen

Agree, don't get sucked in with "beginner" reptiles, there's nothing saying your first snake can't be a female green Annie or any other of the giants as long as you have done your research and know you can provide what they need
snakes are dangerous, my cousin's best mates hairdresser's son had a snake and it started to lay down next to him, he mentioned this to the vet and the vet told him it was sizing him up to eat him...................true story
Old 21-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Regular

Just posting to agree with the rest of the posts. I read books on numerous lizards (not a snake lover I'm afraid!) and chose the one which I liked the most/best suited me!
Old 21-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Chance

Agreed!

A few years ago there was a big thing on corns being recommended for beginners as they are easy. A shop wouldn't sell me a Royal as my first cos he said they were too hard to feed lol.

Still never had a royal and did start with a corn but only for two weeks then I bought a boa!

As long as you do the research as said above you can start with pretty much whatever you like.

Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?

Old 21-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

The first lizard I had was a beardie. The first snake was a boa (bci). I still have both of them and still think they're fantastic. Others may think differently.

Beardies are not the easiest to look after. It's hardly rocket science, but there are other lizards that need less room, less extreme temperatures, less requirement for high intensity UV. Most other animals eat less than a growing beardie as well! Seriously, you are in for a big food bill when your beardie is growing. Probably 3 tubs of live insects a week, plus veg and supplements.

Most snakes are a doddle in comparison. My second snake was a burm. Also a good choice if you have the room and are not bothered by a having a snake that weighs as much as you do! They are my favourite snake to keep as a pet, though.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 21-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers3 View Post
The first lizard I had was a beardie. The first snake was a boa (bci). I still have both of them and still think they're fantastic. Others may think differently.

Beardies are not the easiest to look after. It's hardly rocket science, but there are other lizards that need less room, less extreme temperatures, less requirement for high intensity UV. Most other animals eat less than a growing beardie as well! Seriously, you are in for a big food bill when your beardie is growing. Probably 3 tubs of live insects a week, plus veg and supplements.

Most snakes are a doddle in comparison. My second snake was a burm. Also a good choice if you have the room and are not bothered by a having a snake that weighs as much as you do! They are my favourite snake to keep as a pet, though.
Agree with this 100%, similar to me my first lizard was a beardie, first snake was a burm and a boa came second.

Snakes are so much easier to keep than lizards in general but I love both
Old 23-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Regular

I think you are starting off correctly! Make sure you research as much as possible before you actually get the pet.
If you are like me (and probably most others on here) you will have heaps of fun looking for that information, and will make you even more excited on getting the snake.

Set the snake's home up before you get him/her, so that you can just let the snake settle in easily without you having to tinker around much.
If you have any questions, then you have for sure found the right place here.

The choice of a Phantom is great! That is also my first Ball Python, and I think he is just simply the best!

Tags
advice