Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Bosc Monitor Feeds (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/943671-bosc-monitor-feeds.html)

ScottyBoi23 10-03-2013 12:42 PM

Bosc Monitor Feeds

Hi,

Im new to this site only just signed up seen some pretty lovely lizards about :)

Ive just got a Bosc Monitor about 2 weeks ago he's about 1 yr old ( My first lizard :) ) hes coming on really well and getting used to me really well :) so im doing something right...

Just wanting to no the best feeds for him how much a day / what a day Etc ...

at the min im giving him a tub of locust twice a week, a mouse twice a week and some raw meat / egg every now and again.. is this enough as i dont want to get him really fat lol..

Advice would be lovely thanks guys.

Scott

varanus87 10-03-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyBoi23 (Post 11026391)
Hi,

Im new to this site only just signed up seen some pretty lovely lizards about :)

Ive just got a Bosc Monitor about 2 weeks ago he's about 1 yr old ( My first lizard :) ) hes coming on really well and getting used to me really well :) so im doing something right...

Just wanting to no the best feeds for him how much a day / what a day Etc ...

at the min im giving him a tub of locust twice a week, a mouse twice a week and some raw meat / egg every now and again.. is this enough as i dont want to get him really fat lol..

Advice would be lovely thanks guys.

Scott

Correct Savannah Monitor Care

Have a read ......:welcome: also go on this thread it's the best ... Trust ....http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ors-tegus.html

ScottyBoi23 10-03-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varanus87 (Post 11026405)
Correct Savannah Monitor Care

Have a read ......:welcome: also go on this thread it's the best ... Trust ....http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ors-tegus.html

Thank You

varanus87 10-03-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyBoi23 (Post 11026438)
Thank You

No wukkas ...: victory:

mitsi 10-03-2013 04:07 PM

mine is 9 months and eats three chicks and 10 mice a week a boiled egg once a month, then has a tub of morio worms every 2 days i just fill up his tub in the viv, then has a tub of crickets and a tub of locusts everyday, plus dubais. costs around £35 a week for food.

Alasse12 10-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsi (Post 11026829)
mine is 9 months and eats three chicks and 10 mice a week a boiled egg once a month, then has a tub of morio worms every 2 days i just fill up his tub in the viv, then has a tub of crickets and a tub of locusts everyday, plus dubais. costs around £35 a week for food.

£140 a month for one lizard? I spend less than half that for 12! You might want to consider bulk buying?

mitsi 10-03-2013 06:41 PM

yes and i do bulk buy fortnightly. 7 tubs of crickets, 7 tubs of locusts, 4 tubs of morioworms, ten mice and 3 chicks a week he eats plus the dubais i breed. thats £1.50 each tub plus £5 for mice and £3 for chicks a week. Thats how much it costs to feed a bosc properly. and he would eat more if i gave it to him.

Alasse12 10-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsi (Post 11027221)
yes and i do bulk buy fortnightly. 7 tubs of crickets, 7 tubs of locusts, 4 tubs of morioworms, ten mice and 3 chicks a week he eats plus the dubais i breed. thats £1.50 each tub plus £5 for mice and £3 for chicks a week. Thats how much it costs to feed a bosc properly. and he would eat more if i gave it to him.

Is it? You pay £1 each for chicks then? You're being ripped off, big time! A bag of 50 should cost no more than around a fiver, depending on where you get them. Three quid for three chicks?! That's why your bill is so high.

mitsi 10-03-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alasse12 (Post 11027337)
Is it? You pay £1 each for chicks then? You're being ripped off, big time! A bag of 50 should cost no more than around a fiver, depending on where you get them. Three quid for three chicks?! That's why your bill is so high.

no but i buy six chicks a time thats £3 at 50p each, and to be honest even if it was a quid a chick that hardly makes any difference to the cost it would be what an extra 12 quid a month for chicks, hardly puts the bill up much, the rest of it is what costs as any bosc keeper will tell you, if i just kept leos etc then yes it would cost alot less, but i dont and wouldnt to be honest with you,not that theres anything wrong with that type of lizard just dont interest me.
also my bosc isnt the only rep i have that enjoys the occasional chick that why i buy 6 a week. And if i do overpay alittle on the chicks then it still dont matter much to the cost per month, as its not their cost that makes it so much.

Alasse12 10-03-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitsi (Post 11027361)
no but i buy six chicks a time thats £3 at 50p each, and to be honest even if it was a quid a chick that hardly makes any difference to the cost it would be what an extra 12 quid a month for chicks, hardly puts the bill up much, the rest of it is what costs as any bosc keeper will tell you, if i just kept leos etc then yes it would cost alot less, but i dont and wouldnt to be honest with you,not that theres anything wrong with that type of lizard just dont interest me.
also my bosc isnt the only rep i have that enjoys the occasional chick that why i buy 6 a week. And if i do overpay alittle on the chicks then it still dont matter much to the cost per month, as its not their cost that makes it so much.

I have a bosc and I don't spend £35 a week feeding it. He gets roaches, crickets, locust, snails, worms, chicks, rodents, all of which I get in bulk. Maximum I've seen chicks is 10p each...anyway, doesn't matter. Just thought £140 per month (almost £1700 a year!) was a bit steep for one lizard.