beardie setup help please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Regular
Default beardie setup help please

Hi I am trying to settle down my first beardie I dont have a name yet as I cant think of one just yet. I have a 5 month old in a 4ft viv. I bbought this as a full setup from a reputable lizard dealer in sheffield. i have a Uv light and a 100w basking lamp and a thermostat added.

I have the basking end of the viv at 88 degrees F and and the cool end is 70 degrees F. The basking spot is 113 f. are these temps ok? The reason is She spends alot of time sat on her log on the cool side rather than basking. I also dont seem to be able to control the temperature very well with the thermostat which is a microclimate b1me the probe is on the side of the viv half way down stuck to the wall . it is 8 inches away from heat source. I fine tweak to try and get the temps lower to no avail?

My beardie does look happy and is eating but since ive had him/her i have only seen 1 poop but only been with me since friday .

how often do i need to bath also

any advice would be gratefull or am i doing the right thing already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

All beardies are different, some like it higher and some lower... yours might like it lower.

100watt can be a bit high in a 4ft viv; if you try a 60watt (doesn't have to be a reptile branded one) or 75watt, it'll lower the temperature and not need to dim down as often.
Old 13-03-2013, 01:24 PM
5 Star Member

Temperatures sound fine but each beardy is individual when it comes to heating. Beardies should only bask for 5-10mins at a time, then go off and do their own thing. If she's not basking at all I would turn the temperatures down a little.

Thermostat wise it may be the position of the probe. Put it closer to the hot end and see if it dims the bulb. What thermometers are you using?

If she's eating and pooing then that's a good sign

Beardies don't always poo often, make sure that she's getting plenty of hydration through veg and gut loading the bugs. That should help to stop any constipation.

Bathing is a personal preference thing. Personally I would only bathe a beardy during a tough shed or if they look dehydrated (wrinkled skin, sunken eyes), but many people bathe there's every week or so.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Regular

was getting wrinkled skin and i just give it a swim. does bask not often does seem happy enough might just be me . basked this morning and vented while doin so. cheeky liitle beardie sat nicely on my hand while replying. eats from my hand too. just worried the temps werent right the hot sot does climb slightly but when basking she raisers her head up to get the heat. i have controlled basking spot by raising the height of the rock