UVB for Day Geckos - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Hatchling
Default UVB for Day Geckos

Hi guys, I've got a exo terra large x tall 90 45 90 cm with compact hood. I'm interested in day geckos but I know the compact UVB bulbs are pretty useless. I really don't want to put a t5 strip bulb on top as I'd like the setup to look tidy and not have wires and things all over the place. I know the t5 Arcadia is fantastic as I use one with my beardie. So I'm thinking of a MVB bulb. Has anyone used these? Would it be ok for day geckos? It just means I could have one bulb for heat and UVB and would be lot neater and simple. Also can you dim them? As I would feel a lot more comfortable with it on a stat.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2013, 05:08 PM
5 Star Member

You can't dim MVB's and there's no real way of knowing how much UVB is being emitted.

Have a look on the Arcadia products on their website, there are all-in-one UVB kits available with far less wires

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/

Old 13-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Hatchling

Ive just looked at the Arcadia slimline luminaire looks impressive, it's really frustrating as I have four fittings in this hood, could I not put four 10.0 UVB compacts in there? Are they really that bad that that would be useless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2013, 06:13 PM
5 Star Member

I'm not sure that they'd be useless, with 4 bulbs you're not increasing the % of UVB but the exposure to the UVB I believe. However when accounting for the 50%+ of light lost through the mesh their effect would be drastically reduced. Then there's the replacing of 4 compacts every 6 months at most - very expensive!

For a gecko where UVB is very important I wouldn't want to risk it personally.

Could you not save the canopy or use it for another gecko?

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/

Old 13-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Premier Member

I can make it very neat and tidy for you and pretty much half your running costs on current compared to 4 26w compact lamps and you only have to buy one lamp once a year instead of up to 16!

www.arcadia-reptile.com/vivarium-canopy-luminaire/

just a thought.

John.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com

Old 13-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Gold Star Member

I use the luminaire like John has linked on my day geckos. The compacts really would be pretty useless on day geckos especially in an exo terra hood with little reflection. i would go with the luminaire and a small 20-35 watt halogen for heating.

Tags
uvb mvp day geckos