New leopard gecko advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Hatchling
Default New leopard gecko advice

Hi people, just wonder if there is anything else I should be doing?

I recently got myself a juvie Leo and I am keeping him in a 18 x18 glass viv. He has two hiding spots, one which is fake rock placed over the heat mat and one hollow wood in the cooler side of the viv. Each end has its own thermometer to keep an eye on temp (hot end between 27-30 c and cool between 23-26).

I am using a heat mat (which is running constantly) and black heat lamp but I am also using a 14w uv lamp for about 4 hours a day. At night the temp drops to around 20-22 c. In the way of decorations there are some rocks from my garden (all washed, disinfected with my viv cleaner, rinsed and then oven baked) that I have built a little climbing area out of but they are all secure and won't fall.

Food wise I am feeding mealworms and medium brown crickets. I put the food items in a separate container and feed them fresh fruit and veg(whatever I have to hand) about 12 hours before gecko feeding time. They are also dusted with calcium powder. He is eating between 6-8 food items every other day. He has fresh water changed once a day and he is fed his food in a bowl.

I was just wondering if there was anything I should be doing or anything I am doing that I should change. As far as handling goes I haven't done much yet as he is only young and been in this viv for around 2weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometi View Post
Hi people, just wonder if there is anything else I should be doing?

I recently got myself a juvie Leo and I am keeping him in a 18 x18 glass viv. He has two hiding spots, one which is fake rock placed over the heat mat and one hollow wood in the cooler side of the viv. Each end has its own thermometer to keep an eye on temp (hot end between 27-30 c and cool between 23-26).

I am using a heat mat (which is running constantly) and black heat lamp but I am also using a 14w uv lamp for about 4 hours a day. At night the temp drops to around 20-22 c. In the way of decorations there are some rocks from my garden (all washed, disinfected with my viv cleaner, rinsed and then oven baked) that I have built a little climbing area out of but they are all secure and won't fall.

Food wise I am feeding mealworms and medium brown crickets. I put the food items in a separate container and feed them fresh fruit and veg(whatever I have to hand) about 12 hours before gecko feeding time. They are also dusted with calcium powder. He is eating between 6-8 food items every other day. He has fresh water changed once a day and he is fed his food in a bowl.

I was just wondering if there was anything I should be doing or anything I am doing that I should change. As far as handling goes I haven't done much yet as he is only young and been in this viv for around 2weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Do you have the mat on a thermostat to control temps? Leos only need mats as they do best on belly heat and your night time temps are too low. I keep my hot end between 32-34c at all times. Putting your mat on a thermostat will keep it at the right temps all day and night.
Is your thermometer a digital one or a round plastic analogue on? the round ones are pants and dont give accurate readings.
Does your leo have a moist hide to aid with shedding? a basic set up should have 3 hides. one hot end/one cool end/one moist - half on/half off the mat.
You can feed lots of other bugs to give variety and some have more nutrients then others. also some have more fat so should be fed as treats. Locusts are good...as are dubia roaches. Varied with mealies/crickets, and the likes of waxworms for treats.
Are you just dusting with calcium? You need to get yourself some repashy calcium plus - which has all sorts of vitamins and goodies in it and you can dust every meal with it plus you should have a calcium dish in the viv at all times. I use pure calcium in the bowl but you can use the repashy aswell if you dont want to buy 2 seperate powders.
Pop over to the lizard section - they are a nice bunch over there if you have anymore questions or are unsure of where to get stuff etc

And
tremerz97 likes this.

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!

Last edited by Artisan; 15-03-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Old 15-03-2013, 10:39 PM
5 Star Member

hi and . artisan has explained well. however you will need atleast a 2x1x1 vivarium when he/she is older. 18x18 may do. what supplement powder is it? ideally you want repashy calcium plus. im not going to repeat what artisan said
good luck, mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chad View Post
I thought tremerz was older, gives some of the best advice on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-03-2013, 10:58 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremerz97 View Post
hi and . artisan has explained well. however you will need atleast a 2x1x1 vivarium when he/she is older. 18x18 may do. what supplement powder is it? ideally you want repashy calcium plus. im not going to repeat what artisan said
good luck, mike
Actually an 18x18 seems to have a larger area than a 24x12.

You seem to be using a lot of heat sources, make sure they're statted as it can quickly lead to overheating.

If he is a juvie I would expect him to be eating slightly more than that (although it depends on the size of the prey). Try feeding a variety as already mentioned.

I would also suggest that you don't keep a bowl of Repashy (or any supplement with D3) in all the time, it can lead to D3 overdose if they are attempting to self-supplement on the calcium. The bowl should contain calci-dust (or limestone flour).

Artisan has mentioned the rest.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 19-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Hatchling

Hi folks, sorry about late reply. Yeah I have a moist hide, didn't know to put it half on/off the mat but by coincidence that was where it was anyway. I have also been and bought the multi vit that Matches my calc powder (Exo terra). I don't have a thermostat at the min but will purchase one soon.

I have the heat mat and bulb on timers and spent a week checking temps and changing times etc. I have raised the night temps as well. As for food he/she has started to eat really well. Will eat out of bowl hand or tongs. Just starting to handle in the viv for a couple of mins at a time. He is quite happy to crawl over my hand etc when I am cleaning the tank out. Got some locusts aswell although he seems to prefer the brown crickets now more than anything.

Cheers for the advice, think things are going well now.

Tom
Old 19-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Hi and welcome!

You've had good advice from the others.

I'm just wondering tho........ You have a lot of heat sources. No harm in that if they are on thermostats. But it makes me wonder where your thermometer is placed. The recommended warm side temp is about 30-33C but this is measured with the thermometer on the floor of the viv. Many peeps when they are new to Leos use mats as well as bulbs to try to achieve air temperatures 30-33C. The air temperature (which is what your thermometer will be measuring if you have it on the viv wall) is not as important as floor temp.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Old 20-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Hatchling

I have two stick on LCD thermo stuck to the wall, one each end but I also use my digital baby thermometer which has a probe to keep check on the floor temp at least 3 times a day, usually more. I only use the heat bulb to heat the air a hour on then two hours off during the day as it is a glass viv with mesh top so it loses heat quickly. I am planning on turning my bookcase into a viv pretty soon. It has three shelves each 30" wide and 18" deep. Top two shelves as vivs and bottom one as storage for food. Just need a home for my books now lol. I will be purchasing a stat in the next week or two though.

Also could anyone tell me the morph of my little one from this video?

Drogo- Leo Gecko - YouTube

Cheers

Tags
gecko , leopard