Beardie new viv? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 17-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default Beardie new viv?

Hi just new here but had my beardie for about a year and a half now and wanting to upgrade her viv but I don't know what size to go for?

Its either going to be 5 or 6 foot is bigger better? Is the depth of 2 foot ok or should I try and go bigger?

I have seen people making there own fake rocks really interested in doing that also so any help with that would be great

anything else I can add with might make it better would really help also thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Ultra Citizen

Also I have a heat matt in the viv the now doesn't really get used as the heating in the house is always up so high but I don't really like them what do you use?

Sorry if any of my question seem stupid just want to best for my beardie
Old 17-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilzo View Post
Hi just new here but had my beardie for about a year and a half now and wanting to upgrade her viv but I don't know what size to go for?

Its either going to be 5 or 6 foot is bigger better? Is the depth of 2 foot ok or should I try and go bigger?

I have seen people making there own fake rocks really interested in doing that also so any help with that would be great

anything else I can add with might make it better would really help also thanks for any advice
Hey, My beardie is in a vivarium that is just under 5ft long and 2 foot deep its about 30cm high and shes very happy so I would say go for it. I make rocks and backgrounds so let me know what you need to know, there's loads of other guys here who do the same so they may comment at some point, also there are loads of instructional videos on youtube.
I was wondering though when you say you have a heat mat but you don't use it do you mean at night, I am presuming during the day you have a heat light to provide a basking spot and a UV light in your vivarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-2013, 03:25 AM
Ultra Citizen

yeah sorry have the basking light and UV light in there just don't use the heat matt because of the heat in the house

So do you think bigger is better or just go 5 foot? I want either 5-6 x 2 x 2 foot

thanks for the info will have a look on youtube
Old 17-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Regular

yeah if you can give them more space then do, sure they will be more than happy to run around.
Old 17-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Ultra Citizen

Whats best to make your viv out of? is conti board?

As I work in B&Q easy to get most of the stuff I need which is a bonus
Old 17-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Regular

Yea I have used conti board before, another idea if you work in b&q is hardwood ply, if you treat it I think it look a lot nicer, and its stronger. but 18mm conti is more than sufficient. Runners can be a pain to get hold of I use ebay I think the seller is called ranch house pets or something like that, there is another guy but I don't use him as he ripped me off. you can also get vents and mesh from the ranch house person I think, although I just pick mine up at B&Q.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:21 AM
5 Star Member

As you thought ditch the heatmat. Some use them but it would appear you don't need to plus if used incorrectly then they can be detrimental you a BD's health. Regarding size you're right bigger is better but be sure to choose a size suitable to your bd. does he climb high a lot? Does he run back and forth a lot? It doesn't have to be long and shallow as long as you have the minimum floor space.

I have a 6x2x2, its brilliant, but with hindsight I'd have a different size. Obviously the 6ft length is great and if you're thinking of incorporating a fake rock build then you want the extra foot as your walls will obviously take some space. If I could I'd increase the height and depth by .5-1ft. Once you have a floor/substrate in and your bulb you loose a good .5 of a foot from the height, if you go for 2.5-3ft in height then you can have plenty of rocky ledges and deep substrate areas for burrowing. In the wild they often burrow to regulate their temps and humidity. If you can, allow them to do the same, may need a deeper bottom plinth. Depth is definitely hindered by a fake rock background if only 2ft. I haven't measured it but I estimate my depth is now about 18-20" in parts due to the fake rock wall. Don't get me wrong this is enough, he has no issue tearing around but I can't help but think we would both appreciate an extra .5-1ft and it would just look better.

Good on you for going for something bigger than the usual 4x2x2, in my eyes this is to small. Remember you don't not have to conform to the norm, aslong as you have the useable floor space and the correct temp gradient and uv exposure it doesn't matter on the dimensions.

Old 17-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultra Citizen

So is hardwood ply the next best thing to use? What is the perfect stuff to build the viv out of?

I think I will make the height and depth 3 foot stuff it why not but that rules out conti board I think not sure what sizes I can get at work so just need to decide on width now

Yeah she tries to climb on everything when she out of her viv was even on the bin in my room the other day and also does a lot of running about so I guess both would be better

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
Old 17-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Is mdf ok to use for a viv? what thickness should be used?

Tags
bearded dragon