handleing my beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Egg
Default handleing my beardie

Hi all, am a first time bearded dragon keeper, ive had my little fellow for coming upto 1 week now.

He's not very skitish, dosent run when i come in the room or walk upto his viv, just sits there being nosey.
I can hand feed him meal worms, and he some times puts one leg on my hand whilst eating them.
He sometimes allows me to stroke his beard, sometimes his a little cautious and backs away a little, though when i attempt to pick him up he runs, which am sure is to be expected with him being a baby.
I dont chase him when he runs as i dont want to stress him out, though i havent held him since i put him in his viv nearly a week ago.
Should i carry on what am doing, hand feeding etc, and hope he gains my trust ? or should i keep trying to pick him up...

Here's Spike

20130316_143502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Regular

Hey Nathanp,

to the Beardie owners club lol!!!

How are you attempting to "pick him up"? If you are trying to pick him up from above by grasping him he will be scittish (for all he knows you could be a predator trying to grab him).

Flat hand, palm up and either under his chest in front of his front legs and coax him onto your hand or under the belly. When I got my one at 8mths old he was used to being handled etc but I find he jumps or runs onto a little red hand towel I use for his bathing, don't know if he knows what it is or not but seems to entice him without a problem.
Nathanp likes this.
Old 23-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Ultra Citizen

My beardie has always been a bit of a weirdo she always just came to me for some reason and let me lift her but she loves sitting on my shoulder

Just try and not stress him out and when he seems more confident with you
Nathanp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThommoCunningham View Post
Hey Nathanp,

to the Beardie owners club lol!!!

How are you attempting to "pick him up"? If you are trying to pick him up from above by grasping him he will be scittish (for all he knows you could be a predator trying to grab him).

Flat hand, palm up and either under his chest in front of his front legs and coax him onto your hand or under the belly. When I got my one at 8mths old he was used to being handled etc but I find he jumps or runs onto a little red hand towel I use for his bathing, don't know if he knows what it is or not but seems to entice him without a problem.
Thanks for the reply
I have been attempting to pick him up from above, which when you think about it is kinda stupid as you say i could be a predator.

I will try what you mentioned in the morning as the lights are off now.
Thanks for the advice
Old 23-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Super Regular

hold the tail with the 2nd hand though. Mine tries to rotate his tail like mad
Old 23-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Regular

Welcome dude,
All with time don't worry beardie's chill over time and are a pleasure to handle the older they get mines 3 years old now and so chilled out he likes sitting on my shoulder and occasionally when it's coming close to 'lights out time' when i'm handling him he pushes up close to my neck with his nose and trys to take a nap.

Enjoy they are a pleasure to have.
1.0.0 BEL (Super Fire) Called 'Heisenberg'
Old 23-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to Kate Atkinson

Have you tried just placing your hand in the viv, palm up so that your beardie can investigate it? Maybe on the odd occassion, just place one tiny meal worm on ur hand, wait for your beardie to sit on your hand and then pull him out ... it might take some time though. Don't put a worm on every time, they are quite fattening.