New to community and New to geckos - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Egg
Default New to community and New to geckos

We have had our leapard gecko for about 3 or 4 months now. Honestly he's really our second one but the first one died after about 3 weeks with us. We discovered he was sick when we bought him. I have a concern with him in general i guess. I noticed 2 days ago he has been just standing in one spot, moving just a little every now and then. And he is positioned oddly. His rear end is on the floor but the he has his upper torso lifted and head pointed upwards. It's like he's doing some gecko yoga or something. I did discover he is impacted as evidenced by the dark coloring on his belly. I just started doing warm water soaks last night. I also switched out his bedding and cleaned his cage with plain water. Does anyone know why he would be standing like this? Is it possibly BECAUSE he's impacted? Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-03-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Star Member

Dark colouring on the belly doesn't necessarily mean impaction. Some internal organs are darker so are more visible.

What else makes you think it's impaction? If you're concerned that this is the problem the best thing is to take her to the vets. If impaction is left, it only gets worse.

More details will help. Explain the setup i.e. temperatures, what heat sources you have, if they are statted, how you are measuring the temperatures, substrate, any lighting, food items, supplementation etc.

A picture of the gecko will also help. Do you know what morph she is? Enigma morphs exhibit this kind of symptom (as well as circling, rolling, bad aim etc), it's a neurological problem that cannot be cured, however symptoms can come and go.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 23-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Egg

I'm thinking impaction because princess hasn't been moving around his tank at all, not eating and hasn't drank any water for some time. In my area we don't really have any vets that are specific to lizards. We have only found one that "has an interest" in caring for them. I can call her on monday and see what she has to say but otherwise I think i will find better help here. We have princess in a 10 gal tank. We used to have coconut fibers as a substrate but I felt that he may have been ingesting some of it so I switched it out last night to just paper towels. He has a small hidey log and a larger rock-style hide. I've kinda left most of the care to my husband until now. He has a single thermometer in the tank. As for heat sources he has only used overhead lighting. we have a day lamp and a night lamp. They get turned off and on at about 6am and 8pm. I am talking my husband into an underpad to heat the tank more evenly. We currently have the tank in our living room, which is the warmest room in the house and the tank is in line with the heater (not direct heat but the way the air blows, the tank is in a good spot to catch that warmth). We have been mostly feeding Princess crickets from the local pet store. We tried some worm things that they had available but my gecko wouldn't touch them. I will get a picture and post it here shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Egg

This is a good example of how he has been positioning Facebook
Old 23-03-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Star Member

He looks very thin and ill! He needs to see a vet and get faecal tests done, there's very little you can do at home for him now without potentially making things worse.

He could well be an enigma gecko - if you get better pictures of the eyes that will help. That positioning could be star-gazing (as enigmas do) but also a reaction to pain/being scared.

Do you know what the temperatures are? Particularly under the light.

Old 23-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Egg

The album that picture is in has a good shot of his eyes. He has never done that kind of positioning until now. He has also not been so thin until recently. When we first got him he was thick and healthy looking, his skull bones and hip bones weren't protruding. Thank you for your help.
Old 23-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Egg

I will attempt a better eye shot at his next warm soak.
Old 23-03-2013, 09:51 PM
5 Star Member

Do you know what the last gecko died of? It could be that the last gecko had parasites and those have remained on some equipment, then passed on to the new gecko. Which could account for the quick weight loss. Either that or it could be husbandry related.

Do you know the temperatures in the hot end?

Around the pupil is there a little orange/yellow colour?

Old 23-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Egg

The last one dies from parasites, at least thats what the vet that saw him said. We were given some medication to dose him with but it was too late. When we bought him he was pale and thin. Of course being new to gecko ownership we didn't recognize that as him being ill until it was too late. I do know that our current friend had been housed in the same tank as the first one when they were at the store. on the warm end it stays about 90 - 95 farenheit. I know we aren't keeping the tank as warm as it should be. Now that I have control over princess' care I am hoping to take care of that problem.
His eyes are kind of a Hazel/gray color
Old 23-03-2013, 10:02 PM
5 Star Member

There is a high chance that this one also has parasites then. You need to get wormer from the vets sooner rather than later and scrub down the tank with reptile disinfectant/dilute bleach. I would also get a probiotic such as Avipro to help stimulate appetite.

A hot spot of 90-95F is absolutely fine.

No offense but don't go back to that shop! They obviously have problems.

Tags
impaction , leapard gecko , leo