Light fitting - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-03-2013, 07:28 PM
5 Star Member

Ignore AbercrombieZombie! You do not need that high for a beardy, and in a standard 4ftx2ft viv you're likely going to overheat the tank and, as he said, cause a fire hazard.

Tom's advice was spot on, stick to that advice regarding temperatures. If your beardy basks for long periods of time you can up the temperatures but it's important to keep the cool end cool enough.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Hatchling

Thanks. I've got a 100w halogen bulb in and it's not getting the ambient temps right. I've got 30c hot to 25c cold end. Don't know what to do. Add a ceramic heater?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Hatchling

Yes I do mean 140f.

Although I should say up to, which means 120 to 140 f.

But then I dont have one or two Beardies and havnt had them for a year or two.....

Ideal set up is a min 6 by 2 foot with an un stated heat source regulated according to environmental factors by the wattage. The size viv allows for heat dissipation and gradient.

Just check the ave temp of their natural enviroment and tell me that only gets to 86f !

Oh, and unless your in a very cold environment, it wont be often your home gets to less than the aussie desert at night time, so no need to wast funds on heat mats for the night !.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombiezombie View Post
Yes I do mean 140f.

Although I should say up to, which means 120 to 140 f.

But then I dont have one or two Beardies and havnt had them for a year or two.....

Ideal set up is a min 6 by 2 foot with an un stated heat source regulated according to environmental factors by the wattage. The size viv allows for heat dissipation and gradient.

Just check the ave temp of their natural enviroment and tell me that only gets to 86f !

Oh, and unless your in a very cold environment, it wont be often your home gets to less than the aussie desert at night time, so no need to wast funds on heat mats for the night !.
You left out a fair bit of information there! To suggest a basking spot of 140F in what most would assume as a 4x2x2ft viv (which is the minimum recommended around here) is dangerous for the animal as it won't get the cool area it needs. It would perhaps be better if you recommend that thermogradient and state the viv size too, otherwise a lot of newbies (and their animals) would be in trouble!

I also didn't see anyone saying basking spot should be 86F?

I also wouldn't recommend anything unstatted for newbies. Yes it can be done where lights are concerned, however with such high temperatures I would suggest using a thermostat (even a crappy mat stat) as a safety net.
IanC likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Hatchling

An animals requirements is not dependent on the size enclosure you choose for it.

I state there could be a problem due to it be a 4 foot viv.

Location should not make a difference to what is seen as the lowest recommended needs of an animal.

Yes, I mis quoted the temp of 86 from care sheet I read on this very forum, apologies for that error.

A stat will help if the heating equipment it over rated for the environment and it reaches the levels needed. Although the idea of locating the probe further away from the source kind of works, its a false practice as it does not take account of the basking area.

A crappy mat stat as you call it works fine on heat elements up to 100w, but to suggest one would be better than nothing on a 100w spot (the example used) is dicing with problems, operation on the very edge of tolerance is never a good idea.

A temp range of just 5 or 6 c is pretty limited!
and suggestions to use household fitting going un noticed !

dont tell me, a beardie under a lamp with its mouth open is panting and to hot ?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombiezombie View Post
An animals requirements is not dependent on the size enclosure you choose for it.

I state there could be a problem due to it be a 4 foot viv.

Location should not make a difference to what is seen as the lowest recommended needs of an animal.

Yes, I mis quoted the temp of 86 from care sheet I read on this very forum, apologies for that error.

A stat will help if the heating equipment it over rated for the environment and it reaches the levels needed. Although the idea of locating the probe further away from the source kind of works, its a false practice as it does not take account of the basking area.

A crappy mat stat as you call it works fine on heat elements up to 100w, but to suggest one would be better than nothing on a 100w spot (the example used) is dicing with problems, operation on the very edge of tolerance is never a good idea.

A temp range of just 5 or 6 c is pretty limited!
and suggestions to use household fitting going un noticed !

dont tell me, a beardie under a lamp with its mouth open is panting and to hot ?
mat stats on bulbs dont work - thats why they call them mat stats. the bulb will blow often.

Beardies will pant under a heat bulb - this is becuase their head is smaller than the rest of their body and gets hot more quickly - the panting is trying to keep the head at the right temperature while the rest of the body warms up.

Tags
bulb 4' viv