Uv light fitting BD - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Hatchling
Exclamation Uv light fitting BD

Ok I have built my viv out of a old computer desk and the internal space is 3.5,2,2.5.

I have fitted my basking light and also a backup ceramic heat lamp for temp maintenance. Waiting for my termstat dimmer to arrive.

So only uv to fit, hear is my idea I have a spare t5 fitting left over from my house renovation and it uses 30 inch tubs could I use this or dose it have to be a reptile/aquarium controller.

I understand i can not use normal tubs and it has to be one designed for reptiles and give of 10- 12%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Premier Member

Hi,

At 30" it sounds like you have a standard output T5 ballast. This will not run a high output system I'm afraid.

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 30-03-2013, 10:34 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi,

At 30" it sounds like you have a standard output T5 ballast. This will not run a high output system I'm afraid.

John
Your profile pictures changed... It confused me... I don't like change!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Hatchling

Thanks for that John just had a look and it is only 8 watts, so no good was worth asking.

Again thanks for help.
Old 30-03-2013, 10:40 AM
5 Star Member

this would be a great uv addition to a viv that size.

Old 30-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Hatchling

John just had a look at the web link in you footer. What a world of information.

Do you sell direct or only trade, if you do please send me a pm with cost including delivery to Durham.

Last edited by Needrl; 30-03-2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 30-03-2013, 10:48 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needrl View Post
John just had a look at the web link in you footer. What a world of information.

Do you sell direct or only trade, if you do please send me a pm with cost including delivery to Durham.
I can tell you now its only through a supplier. Livefoodsbypost, Surrey pet supples (if you're quick) and swell reptiles seem to have the best prices. As I linked above that flood will work perfectly and is the best price I know of.

Old 30-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Hatchling

Ok thanks tom have found this on eBay would this be ok or would the one you recommended be better.

ARCADIA T5 SINGLE BULB LIGHT UNIT CONTROLLER - 24W - 39W
Old 30-03-2013, 11:14 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needrl View Post
Ok thanks tom have found this on eBay would this be ok or would the one you recommended be better.

ARCADIA T5 SINGLE BULB LIGHT UNIT CONTROLLER - 24W - 39W
Any chance of a link? I'm assuming that would just be the controller so you'd want to purchase this and then the T5 D3+ 12% tube separately and then finally you want the appropriate reflector too. If you want to go down the single tube route as apposed to the flood then I'd suggest buying either the 24w T5 Slimline Luminaire which is an all-in-one plug and play unit or the Full Kit Version which is all the appropriate parts needed in one bundle. With either of these you'll want the 24w version, 2ft in length. Mount it in the hot side so the cool side drops off in to shade. This creates what is called a photogradient (click link) which will match your thermogradient.

Old 30-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Hatchling

Again you are right going to cost a lot more than you think when add it all up so going for the flood light. Also looks a lot easier to set up and get the gradient I need.

Grate help again on a grate forum.

Will post pick of viv sone when done
tomcannon likes this.

Tags
bearded dragon